Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

throat issue, post anterior cervical surgery (April 1st)

paulyabeppaulyabe Posts: 17
edited 04/22/2014 - 11:27 AM in Recovering from Surgery
last night was the first time I slept on my bed since 2 level anterior cervical procedure. Before that I slept on a recliner, so it was the first time lying flat to sleep. I fell asleep ok but woke up after a few hours with this horrible 'event' going on in my throat. I do know the person who shoved the tube down my throat had to have been a hack, because my lip was beat up and I think I had a longer period of not being able to swallow liquids. It felt like a gob of mucus in my throat. I drank some Mucinex syrup but that did nothing. After falling back asleep on the recliner I decided it is more like a 'flap' hanging down, and has continued to be an issue. Lying flat appears to have allowed whatever the bleep this is to break free. Can anyone shed some light on this? Naturally this occurred on a Friday night/Sat. morning.

• stasiamariesstasiamarie Posts: 64
    edited 04/24/2014 - 6:33 AM
    I had ACDF one level ad I am 6 days post op, I had a real hard time swallowing at first and still do at times have you tired Chloraseptic throat spray ? that helps me tremendously ! Im having hard time swallowing as it still is a bit painfull and food gets stuck but I use ther chloraseptic spray before I eat and it helps me tremendously as it numbs my throat the back of it I am still having bad pain like 8 -10 in my neck on my back of neck and shoulders and arms dont know how long that is going to last . but try that throat spray before laying down and couch up that phlem and spit it out you need to get that out of your throat. good luck thats the best advice I can give ya take care :) Stacy
    ACDF One level C- 4 April 2014
    Cervical Spondylosis \ Myelopathy
    Chronic pain sufferer since 2005
  • paulyabeppaulyabe Posts: 17
    edited 04/24/2014 - 4:20 PM
    while it took several days to swallow liquids w/o difficulty, that did subside. I believe what I experienced was a 'flap' of skin that broke free after lying flat. Having had my lip so beat up made me think the person who intubated me also did some damage in my throat. Was not told to NOT lay flat. Rather than drive all the way to my surgeons office I have an appt. w/an ear nose throat doc nearby. They'll have the instruments to see back in there and determine if this is a normal situation or damage. Was told he/she might go in through a nostril. Yikes! I was prescribed Valium and Robaxin to alternate taking. Not having much of a muscle issue. One day my shoulder felt like i'd been punched real hard but that didn't last long. I was fortunate enough to have an 'internationally renowned' surgeon do mine. I went through a long period of mid back pain. It wasn't until I referred myself to this surgeon that a Myelogram was ordered and he found the culprit. My neck hadn't bothered me until a week or two before surgery, when the one disc collapsed to the point that turning my head became difficult, but the mid back pain went on for 1.5 years, and wasn't prescribed morphine until PM viewed the results of the Myelogram and handed me an Rx for it. Everything went rather quickly after that. At my appt. with the surgeon after the steroid injections did nothing he said 'how does next week sound?' Was expecting more like months from then, but at least I had morphine by then in case it took longer than a week to have surgery. Have you had your first post-op appt. yet? My surgeon only used screws, six of them, and spacers between the vertabrae. I know in the past, esp. involving two levels plates were used. Not sure how he regained the disc height but they do that too. Hoping all goes well for you.
  • Hi paulyabe! I am 7 weeks post-op from my ACDF allograft and hardware. I could feel like a painful lump in my throat and dreaded even swallowing the pills for pain. Then I started having my husband make me really icy shakes in the blender. I think it brought the swelling down inside my throat! Either that or time really does heal all wounds :D I still occasionally feel a non painful lump in my throat and having an icy shake always helps! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
    Left arm weakness, muscle spasms
    3/7/2014 ACDF C 6-7 allograft and hardware, laminectomy decompression C 4-6
    Small rotator cuff tear.
  • have you laid flat on your back since the surgery? When I did it seemed like a swollen flap had broke free. I still have a little trouble with big uncoated pills getting lodged. I'm concerned that more than normal stuff is going on. The fact that my lip was so beat up has me wondering if that person who shoved the tube in me also beat up my throat. Fortunately I can sleep well on the recliner, because I have no plans to lay flat again until I know what the heck is going on. I think I'll go get a Popsicle right now.