Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar spinal fusion/decompression/spine straightening

Hi everyone,

I'm 34 and I have in week 3 of recovery from my second back surgery. I've had scoliosis since I was 13. Never been braced although it was deemed to be moderate scoliosis. I have an S curve so to physically look at me one cant really tell I'm curvy unless I'm in a swimsuit.
I just recently had a PLIF with cage, pedical screws & rods done from L3-S1. A decompression was also done, along with some disks being replaced with artificial disks. On top of that the Dr. made my incision a bit larger going from mid back to tailbone in order to straighten the scoli above the incision as much as he could along with straightening and rotating the spine into the correct position prior to fusing it in the tailbone region.

I also have DDD and some stenosis. My question is now that I am in week three and starting to move around a lot more I have noticed that my right side (where I initially had the larger curve...thoracolumbar) seems to be getting worse. I know my initial curvature was around 33 in that region. While the Dr. has done a great job of straightening the bottom, it actually corrected the curvature on the left side of my body where it had created a sharp angle curve on that side of my waist. It is now gone and a replaced by a nice smooth curve. However, my right shoulder now dips down way more than it used to and I notice that I now deviate more to the right naturally. My body essentially wants to pull itself to almost to a right angle. I physically have to hold myself up straight, but when I relax or am not thinking about it I'm back slumped to that right angle.

I fear that the Dr. only correcting one part of the curve, has now put me at a disadvantage because now I'm going to have to deal with the other curve. To be fair I did inquire as to whether the straightening of the lower spine would affect the scoli and I was told that it wouldn't. I have been back to have staples taken out and I let the nurse know my concerns. I was informed that I should eventually straighten out. I just needed to give the muscles on the left time to heal and become stronger to pull me over to that side in order to level me out.

I do see the doctor for my first follow-up in a few weeks. Has anyone ever had issues like this where you feel things are worse than when you went in? Do you think I should just give it time? I also notice that when I sit down my body slumps to the right and I have to shift and physically pull my body over to the left just to sit up straight...even in my back brace.