Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Concert 8months post?

Hey guys, so ive had a SLOW recovery. still have sciatica on/off in both legs. its daily at a 3-5 (was a 10+ before sugery). im 6 months post op and still cant full on workout... just doing stretches and walking and some very very light "swimming" - basically pt moves in the pool. i tried to increase one other time and had BAD flare ups... im just now coming down from that to a tolerable pain. ANYWAYSi used to go to concerts and festivals ALOT before all this and had a chance to go to a concert in June (i will be 8 months post microd by then). do you think this is ok? Im just not sure when to resume normal activities like that. like i dont do any crazy dancing at the concerts but some little jumping and dancing in place... is that a no no forever?
any advice?

• Avy F.AAvy F. Posts: 5
    edited 04/20/2014 - 7:06 PM
    This is really a tough one, and I definitely feel you here - I love concerts and really miss being able to attend them. It's torture when you find out a good band is going to be playing close by and you know you won't be able to make the show!

Are you still in contact with your surgeon or a physical therapist? If so, the best advice I can offer would be the get hold of one (or both) of them and see what they have to say. It never hurts to ask. If they give you the go-ahead and you feel you're healing up well and feeling good enough to be in a loud sweaty place for a couple of hours I can't really see it being a problem.

Maybe you can ease yourself back into concert-going - look at local listings and find out if there are any bands you'd like to see playing at smaller venues like bars or little clubs. I've found places like this to generally be a lot less chaotic than big venues and festivals, and that it's easier to find a place to sit and rest if you need to. Wherever you end up, pick out a table or someplace off to the sidelines, where you can still see the band, and park yourself there. That way you can get up and go out to the floor to get closer to the music if you feel like it, instead of being on your feet the entire time, wishing you could sit down, and not enjoying the show at all.

Drink a ton of ice water, have your pain meds on hand, and make sure to get the heck out of there if you start feeling crappy or hurty - obviously you want to be able to do the fun stuff you were doing before back problems and surgery happened, but it would be a shame if you ended up hurting yourself somehow and took even longer to heal. And definitely have a friend with you, one who won't be drinking so they can safely drive you home, and who can keep an eye on you to make sure no one jostles you or knocks you over.

This question actually made me think a lot about what I'm going to be able to do when I heal up more and am able to go places again, so thanks for that. And remember, I'm obviously not a medical professional of any sort, so you shouldn't take my advice alone - check with someone who's had the training to really know what they're talking about before you decide anything. These are just my thoughts on the matter; they may or may not be feasible or wise. :)
    For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

panic disorder - borderline personality disorder
    arthritis - fibromyalgia - multiple herniations - CES
    04/13/14: microdiscectomy / laminectomy at L5-S1