Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello buddies.
had an MRI 3 weeks ago. L5S1 herniated/bulging disc.
been trying.now im not on painkillers anymore.can walk.cant sit.sciatic pain. bearable so far.
considering having a Surgery. Surgeon said it would be a Microdiscectomy.
is there any risk? any complication?any recommendations?
there are days i say. no i wont go through it, and then i say i will.
i am really scared of the surgery outcomes.Note it is my first surgery ever.
i am 38 years old.

• who had that same procedure done. She was also on the fence, but then her symptoms progressed very quickly. By the time she had surgery, she walked like the hunchback of Notre Dame and couldn't use one leg properly (she kind of dragged it). She couldn't even lay down to get comfortable.

After her surgery, although her recovery was slow and painful, she is back to about 98% of normal.

Hope this helps, I know pain and decisions like this are difficult to deal with. Good Luck!
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 04/20/2014 - 5:27 AM
    i had one with the use of a laser and that was about 12 years ago so i am not up with how it is done now. but i remember with the laser, it did not work. another issue is that they gave me the drug where you think you are out but not really. one can talk to the doctor etc. well when they were cutting the disc with the laser, i woke up and felt the burning of the disc and i woke up screaming. they were going to give me more meds but they were at the end of the surgery so they did not. the doctor at the end said you probably dont remember but you were screaming and i said i remembered everything. i was waking up as you were burning the disc and all he could say was sorry.i guess they burned off the portion of the disc that was pressing against the sciatic nerve which did nothing so later on i opted for the fusion.i dont know what they use now. a laser? i dont know.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Hi,
    I had my operation one week ago and feel great, my recovery is painless.

Do not hesitate.

Please let me know how you get on.

Best regards
  • im glad ur feeling great...would u mind telling me what surgery didu have? and some infos of what u had before.
This discussion has been closed.