Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cars with backup cameras/heated leather seats

I just wanted to suggest to anyone who may soon be in the market for a new car, to consider one with a back up camera. They truly are a Spiney's best friend, especially if you have neck issues, and/or an SUV.

You can reduce your having to turn your neck, and thus, your spine by about 90%. Think about how much twisting you do when trying to parallel park, or back out of a parking space. You can watch how close you are by looking into a screen, instead of turning your neck, or trying to use your side mirrors. Not to mention it could keep you from accidentally hit a child while backing out of your driveway. Don't get me wrong, you still have to look side to side when you are backing up of course, but know more craining your neck while you back out.

They do take a little getting used to, so if you test drive one, you may not like it right off the bat. When I first got mine, I felt almost dizzy looking at the screen, but that went away in just a few days.

The other thing I suggest is heated leather seats if you are one who gets relief from heat. I have been known to have the ac on high, & my heated seats on at the same time.

I think at some point back up cameras will be mandatory in all new cars, but for now they & heated leather seats are a luxury, & luxury = more $. But, it is well worth it, & can make driving much more tolerable, especially if you drive long distances frequently.

I have a 2008 Acadia, & I was reminded of how much I count on these things when I had to drive my husband's 2005 Tahoe.
We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand

• it did not come with reversing sensors but amazon sell kits and they are very cheap and good I bought a 4 pod set with a LED display that tells you how far you are from one side to the other {like is a post was 1 meter away on my left the left hand side would be lit up and if I was reversing straight back it will gradually start to go from green to amber to red and the beeps get closer together ..it zeros out at 300mm so you know that when it has a constant beep you must STOP { some of the older models even the ones fitted by the manufactures zeroed out when you hit the wall !! .I looked at the camera version but the LED/BEEP is fine for me and so easy to install the camera type can be bought for around 50 pounds the LED/beep SETS AS CHEAP AS 10 POUNDS !!..MY KIT the BA 118 cost just 12 pounds brand new and even came with a hole saw to cut the bumper they are as good as the manufacturers that you would pay around 200 pounds for .the only main difference between the after market and the factory fit is the cost UNLESS you have auto park that's where the car parks itself ..I would say that the majority of drivers could fit the kits even the camera kits all you need is a basic knowledge of DIY its only a switched live from the reversing light and a permanent earth .the biggest bit of installation is neatness and because many of us on here have mobility problems it may be worth having an abled bodied person install it for you ..anyone wanting advice on how to install please PM me .amazon have a very good choice .{you don't need to go to the extra expense of adding the option at point of purchase when you can do it yourself .I know loads of people that have bought the kits and fitted them with out problems
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Ahhhh, yes, gotta love those heated seats. I just wish they wouldn't automatically shut off after 10 minutes or so!! I have the back up camera too, but when backing up I end up turning around because I'm too impatient to wait those 5 seconds or so for the screen to clear and start showing what is behind me. I wish those were installed when I had my ACDF a few years ago, I can see how it would have been a blessing, once I was able to drive again. Pretty soon I bet they will be standard in all vehicles. I wonder if a" spiney" invented those??
  • Used to shut off like that, but not in the Acadia.

I think the cameras were invented because of all the little kids who have been run over when someone was backing up, but they sure do benefit us!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE my heated seats! They stay on high most of the time!

I wish I had a back up camera....and I'm sure the neighbors do too LOL. I only have about 20 degrees of rotation, which makes backing up very difficult. My car is a 2011, but didn't come with one. We've been looking at a retrofit.....but they are costly. I wish insurance would cover them!
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • did not have leather or heated seats but as its only done 28k and its in amazing condition I decided about a year ago to have it reupholstered in leather and have dual stage heated seats ..its the best decision I have made regarding cars ,I know I will never get my money back but I love the car and as I say it looks like its just rolled off the manufacturer's production line [and my lad is a mechanic } so its not only good to look at it drives well to due to regular maintenance ..for a person with a bad back the Tucson is perfect as I can just slip in to it without hurting myself ...I have had offers to sell it and out local hyundai dealer is always sending me deals to upgrade to a ix35 [the new version of the tuscon [no longer made] but I keep refusing !! much to their annoyance ..they have people wanting to purchase it .I am a bit of a hyundai fan .I have owned loads of different cars fords/.SAABs /BMW and so on but the Tucson is my favorite its my second one ...with its bespoke heated leather seats .sat nav reversing sensors and a high end aftermarket hifi ,alloys and tinted windows .AC why would I sell !!
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 04/21/2014 - 2:30 PM
    Heated seats..... I wish I had them. The next best thing is a remote starter. This way we can start the care before we need to get into it, the heat is on, so by the time we get into the car, all is good. I LOVE remote starters. Before they came onto the market, I was the remote starter. Get out into the cold, start the car up, come back inside, have a cup of coffee and then....

Backup cameras
    They are very good. We have one on our Honda Odyssey. But I still dont trust it 100%. I want a car that has cameras for both the right and left side views. Put all my surgeries and stuff around me and I can not turn to my left. Normally, I have to unbuckled my seat belt and twist my body around to see if someone is coming. Can be dangerous at local intersections. On the highway it is easier. When I start to move to the left, IF I hear a horn blasting, then I know I shouldn't have made that move. No horn, then I am ok. I have seen some cars that their side mirrors light up when there is someone on either side of you. Not to bad,... Havent seen enough of them yet to make a judgement.

But I do know that horn blasting works
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • It's great, because you can cool or warm your car without worrying about someone stealing it.