Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feet numbness

I had spinal fusion l4,5 s1 with cage and screws. When I woke up from surgery, I had no feeling in my legs and couldn't move them.. 3 days later I had to have emergency surgery, After having a cat scan and MRI. The surgeon left a bone fragment in that was pressing against my spinal cord and there were also blood clots that needed to be removed. My recovery is slow, it's been 6 weeks. I am on lyrica for nerve pain. The cramping in my legs are bad. I have bad numbness in my feet. My feet swell ridiculously when I am walking or standing too much. I have received home physical therapy and will start out patient therapy in 2 days. My doctor checked for blood clots in my legs due to the cramping and swelling, which came back negative. He told me now that I should see my PCP. My question is, is it possible that there is nerve damage? I have asked my surgeon to do an EMG but all he said was I need to get fitted for a brace.. I'm frustrated and want my life to get back to normal. I feel my doctor isn't addressing the issues as it should be. Help!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Doodish, I had surgery April 2, a laminectomy from L1-6,S1 as well as Dynamic Stabilization L3-5. When I woke up the surgeon told me he'd found a hole in my spinal cord possibly from a bone frag and so some spinal fluid had leaked. He repaired it...but I too when I came to my entire left foot was numb and pins and needles, along with other areas on my left leg. The doctors all said the same thing, that the numbness can take 6mo or longer to heal as they'd been compressed for so long. My feet also get a "sensation" of swelling but they aren't really, it's just mixed up nerve symptoms. Not sure if this helps you or not, but sometimes it's nice just to know you aren't alone.
    Laminectomy of L1-6,S1 and Dynamic Stabilization L2-5 done April 2nd,2014
  • I am 8 almost 9 months post-op
    Three decompression and spinal tear repair
    And still as numb or even more numbness since the surgery
    I heard up to 18 months after surgery for nerve damage repair, but for me, I think it's permanent
    I hope and pray that you all heal better than I have done so far
    God bless and hugs
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 04/29/2014 - 5:08 PM
    Nerves are notorious. They can be hypersensitive, under sensitive, or cause complete numbness even with only a slight touch during surgery, or moving around the tissues immediately surrounding the nerve. Also, no two nerves are exactly the same. Some take years to regrow and others may not return at all. Keep a journal and rate how bad the nerve feels every day, along with your activities and any other relevant info. Eventually, you should hopefully see some trends such as decreased numbness.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Hi. I was in a very bad car accident dec 2013. I almost lost my leg in the accident. In order to keep my leg, I have gone through 9 surgeries on foot/ knee. The nerve pain didn't start until my last surgery. It is so severe, I can barely focus. I am not working. I also can't walk bc my foot is so numb. I would love to talk with anyone going through this. I am doing PT twice a week which has helped the knee but its not doing much for the foot. Thx.
  • Hi
    I am 9 months post-op and my surgery did very little to help me
    I have foot drop, weakness, numbness and UNBALANCE
    I feel as if I have vertigo
    But I think it's when I try to walk on my numb foot
    I wish you all the best and praying for your healing
    But I fear that most nerve damage is permanent and this all stinks