Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal stimulator

sst2029ssst2029 Posts: 7
edited 04/26/2014 - 9:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Has anyone had a spinal stimulator for cervical pain. I had my trial and am having the permanent put in in less than 2 weeks. I was just wondering how painful it is and what to expect that day. The rep from St. Judes told me I would be there from morning surgery until 4. The Dr. doing the wiring told me the surgery itself would take an hour and a half but it took 2 hours for the trial. I have heard that the pain is really bad afterwards. Just trying to prepare myself.

• I was out for the procedure, woken shortly to ensure placement was correct, then out again. Most of us scs peeps talk on the forum under "treatments" titled spinal cord stimulator. Good luck! I love mine!
  • The trial is not that painful, just some soreness. From my own personal experience, the actual implant surgery pain was hell. I have had five back surgeries before this and they didn't compare to the pain from the spinal cord stimulator. I would have another fusion any day compared to this SCS pain. I'm glad the battery is supposed to last nine years.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Thanks. That is what I have heard. Just got asked from hospital today when they called to confirm if I was staying overnight. I told her I didn't know and asked her if I was. She said the doctor reserved a bed for me. I then asked her how I would know if I was staying over and she told me it depended on how I felt. I have a 45 minute ride home from hospital. I will be on pain meds. How am I going to know how I am going to feel later. Any suggestions on staying over or going home?
  • Hi
    Just a guess but I would think your doctor will make the choice after surgery and how well you handle the surgery and what time you get out of recovery. Make dang sure you have pain meds to use at home. SCS done with a paddle is one often hardest surgery's to get over pain wise for the first five days and then it does get easier.
    I see no advantage of staying in the hospital for a night.
    I have two units implanted both with a paddle. Paddles require laminectomys which make them harder to get over vs perc leads like your test leads.
    Good Luck Hope it helps you