Last August I went to a Cardiologist for my yearly checkup. My wife went with me. As a medical professional myself I am very careful with what I do and the probable results. What I didn't expect was to be utterly and completely humiliated and forced to abandon that old saying "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY". This was 2 1/2 years of a 3 year healing process, or so I thought. This "specialist" was able to convince my wife that I must walk at least 2 miles a day for cardiac health. I began having mild chest pains of varying durations. He also scheduled an exercise stress test a few weeks later even though a stress test was taken at a hospital 7 months earlier, basing it on his opinion that he could only trust his stress test, no one else's.
This cardiologist was fully aware of the 4 screws, 2 rods, and the infuse bone graft between L5 and S1. August 26th I had the stress test with 8 minutes walking and the final 2 minutes running at the fastest pace possible for me. I had not run since before the surg in 12/10 nor afterward. The following weeks I consulted with my primary care physicial as well as my spinal surgeon. X-Rays were taken and I felt that until the CAT scan that was taken in late October was finally interpreted at the end on March that I was treated like a hypochondriac. Very limited amounts of Dilauded, Xanax, Ambien, Ativan which I had to ration in order to work. I went through physical therapy and was seeing a pain control Dr for the Dilauded.
From the time of the Stress Test to present, I listened to my body and it told me I couldn't do squat. The Cat scan revealed total destruction and failure of a procedure that I had been constantly being told was good for at least 10-15 years during my annual visits and X-Rays. The cat scan revealed multiple fractures of both vertebrae radiating from the screws and joining up with a massive fracture throughout the intervertebral space. I was given 2 options, stay on the drugs till I either cant take it any longer or have a plate placed anterior to the spine via an anterior approach. I will have to remain on the drugs, but I do feel that this does require legal intervention since this should never have occurred except for the greed of the Cardiologist and his practice. The stress test was unnecessary, redundant, and improperly administered. I'm seeing my PC physician to have my meds increased to proper levels for the proper condition and will find out if I need to continue with a Pain Control Physician in order to get the Scheduled II Narcotics and to have them increased to a proper level indicative of the fractures. I will delay the surgery until have a settlement since I highly doubt that I will practice Dentistry and the recuperation time required. I have no idea what life will be like after the surgery. All Schedule II pain medication are prohibited in me due to allergies. The hydromorphone is currently the only Schedule II that I can tolerate. I would like to suggest that every individual with back problem only be given a chemical stress test or you can wing up like me. I was only 5 months from what my spinal surgeon said was the recovery period. My new recovery period does not exist.