Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I has a microdiscectomy on my l4l5 fisk about 4 weeks ago

Hi all,

I am a 17 year old male who recently had a microdiscectomy on my l4 l5 disk about 4 weeks ago. I have had leg and some back pain for over a year now before I finally had surgery. Now, 4 weeks later I still have leg pain, enough pain where I cant lift my left leg off the ground more than 5 inches. I cant straighten my leg, and whenever I lift my leg I feel INTENSE pain in my hip and left buttock. Im scared that I may have this pain for a long time and I cant afford having this pain for too much longer, not only because it hurts but also, I am a very competitive basketball player who needs to go to college camps this summer to show the colleges that have wanted me that I am still good. Im going to see my Neurosurgeon this friday after I get my post OP MRI tomorrow. Im very confused and all I want to do is to play ball again. Anyone that has been in my position? How long did it take you for your pain to go away? Oh and also I am starting PT today.

• First, I am sorry your dealing with this at such a young age.

If it makes you feel any better I'm 9weeks PO from the same op plus additional and still have some sciatic pain.

I know how hard you've worked to excel at your sport. I know what it feels like. But you need to let your body have time to heal properly so you can be ok long term.

Your nerve was compressed for a long time and it will take time to heal. The nerves only regenerate a small amount a day/month.

Are you currently in school? Are you sitting a lot if you are? Have you been keeping on top of icing ?

Please talk to your DR and PT about your concerns. But please please please don't push yourself in the healing process. Trust me, it's not worth it! Let your body heal at a gentle pace. In the big picture you will be glad you did!

Good luck and post after your drs apt today!!!