Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 Years of Pain

Heya everyone. Wanted to share my experiences so far with the wonderful medical community we deal with.

I slipped on some ice in Alaska at work and broke my right hip and right femur with a spiral fractured in April of 2012. I have a hip to knee titanium rod in my leg and lost 1.5" on my right side after the surgery. I have been in constant severe pain since, starting with my right leg and running up to my left arm. My back constantly feels like its about to break. Over the last year I have had less and less feeling in my groin and lower legs, so I went to my surgeon and complained (for the 15th time). He finally ordered an MRI when I said I was loosing sensation. Results came back and he said that there wasn't much he could do in terms of relief, aside from sending me to PT again. He flat out stated he hates Chiropractors, but said I might give that a try too. I've started the Chiro work, but it isn't much help (1 day of pain reduction sometimes), but I always wind up feeling worse a few days later and desperately need to see him again.

My MRI report says this:

Moderate central compression deformity at the L4 superior endplate, likely chronic
Mild anterior wedging of the T12 vertabral body may be aftifactual
Bulging discs cause mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at L3-L4 and L4-L5
Shallow central protrusion at L4-L5 causes no neural impingement

But... what I and my Chiropractor see in my images are a compression fracture between L4 and L5 leading to the bulging disc. My Chiropractor is telling me that he is surprised I can get around as well as I do...

So after two years of severe pain and trying desperately to convey that to my surgeon, my 'witchdoctor' (according to my surgeon) is actually giving me better care/advise.

So now I know why I am in such great pain, but is my surgeon really giving me a straight answer? Throw more PT at it and wait? I've been at this for almost two years and loosing feeling in my groin since the accident. I've lost 80 lbs, every muscle in my back is on fire, and I'm constantly weak. I don't think I can wait until I start having loss of bowel control.

• Hi there, sounds like you already know what you need to do: get a second opinion from another surgeon. Trust me, not all surgeons are created equal.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • And good luck!!! Stay positive, as much as you can. You will get through this
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 04/24/2014 - 5:48 AM
    Is he a spine surgeon or is he an orthopedic surgeon who did your hip and leg surgery? It does make a significant difference. Just as other doctors have specialties, orthopedics and neurosurgeons do as well.
    You need to find a board certified ortho or neuro SPINE surgeon and bring the MRI to them for evaluation. In the meantime I would not let a chiropractor do any adjustments, especially since you believe that there is a fracture involved. Displacement of that piece of bone could have catastrophic consequences.

Find a physician, Spine Center
  • I agree with sandi..no more chiropractor. years I went to them, all promising to heal my sciatica and other problems only to get worse. I prefer a neurosurgeon when dealing with any aspect of the spine, but ortho are good too. definitely get a second opinion and sometimes surgery is necessary and there are many success stories out there along with unpleasant ones.trust your gut and got for it. good luck!