Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ice pick headaches after lumbar foraminotomy and discectomy

smallwhitecatssmallwhitecat Posts: 3
edited 04/24/2014 - 8:10 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm 6 weeks post op from formaninotomy/discectory L4-L5-S to correct spinal stenosis. Surgery was very successful in relieving nerve pain and recovery has been slow but good. Some stiffness and soreness remains but that is to be expected...at least until after I start PT in May. Overall I feel good, walk several miles daily, and work full-time (stand up computer).

Only problem...and it is BAD...I get stabbing ice pick headaches and overall zinging body aches as soon as I run low on ibuprofen. I have been taking 500mg every 6 hours (approx 2000mg daily) since surgery..nothing stronger because all other is too much for my system. Feel pretty good throughout the day on ibu (worse in late afternoon/eve of course) but...as soon as I forget a dose or run low...I'm in agony!! Anyone else??

I am 48 years old in fit-athletic condition with no other health concerns or meds.

Any suggestions? Light at end of tunnel? Will be consulting with my surgeon in a week. He didn't seem too concerned last time I mentioned this. Hmmmmm....the ice pick headaches just about drop me to the floor!

Thanks for reading. :)