Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent Laminectomy and Dynamic Stabilization

I have been to your site many times over the past year looking for answers and advice as I fought to get surgery for myself, and finally decided to join.

I have Severe Osteo and Degenerative Disc Disease which have caused three collapsed discs, sever stenosis, spondylothesis, scoliosis. And was showing signs of Cauda Equina Syndrome which is how I eventually received surgery. Being from Canada, we have some bad wait times for surgerys so I was so thankful for finally getting the diagnosis as I'd been almost bedridden before surgery and was starting to have some bowel and bladder troubles from my spinal cords compression.

On April 2nd, 2014 I had a laminectomy from L1 to S1 and Dynamic Stabilization from L2-5. My surgeon told me that he had found I have a naturally narrow spinal cord to begin with and that he had also found a hole in my spinal cord from a bone fragment and I had spinal fluid in the canal.

I am home now, recovering thru my 3rd week post surgery and I'm struggling with a lot of pain (obviously as it's a BIG surgery) but some I am really unsure of, which is why I joined this site. I will look thru the FAQs and see what I can find and look for others with my issues and perhaps the same surgery and what kind of advice I can find.

I look forward to talking with you all.

Laminectomy of L1-6,S1 and Dynamic Stabilization L2-5 done April 2nd,2014

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 04/24/2014 - 9:25 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • yes you have had major surgery [was it your first spinal] ?? expect pain for many weeks and your recovery will be more in the months that weeks department ! {beware of statements like I was back horse riding 3 weeks after my fusion } some people may exaggerate ..and remember your operation was to stabilise your spine and not for pain relief ..any pain relief will be a bonus ..don't forget when the external scar has healed there is still many layers inside that need to bond back together ,,take it easy .and don't let yourself get into serious pain keep taking your pain medication as directed .some people wait until they are in so much pain that it take a long time for them to get it under control .i hope you don't end up like me I have had 3 spinal operations the last one was ALIF and unfortunately I am still in pain and I have more problems now than I did before the operation I too have had bladder and bowel issues [having bladder op in a few days} the long term prognosis for large back operations is normally not too good .so take as much time as you can to rest and only exercise when you feel like it ..your body will stop you if you over do anything ..so listen to it ..its your best friend..many people underestimate just how serious back surgery is and as a result as soon as they are feeling a little better they over do things and end up back on the operating table { I know of at least three just on this site where that has happened ]. my fusion has fused well but there has been historical nerve damage and I feel pain 24/7 I live on narcotics and muscle relaxers ,,my story is not a good one .there are a few on here with a better outcome than me I just wanted you to be aware that things can go wrong even if the surgery went well .so once again .take care of yourself .
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 04/27/2014 - 4:56 AM
    We have our forums for those who have just had surgery, and our surgery recovery buddy forums, both found under the treatment section of our forums.
    I have Cauda Equina Syndrome, twice in fact, so your getting surgery quickly is a good thing........as time goes on and you recover from your surgery, those problems with bladder and bowel will hopefully clear up......