Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Carrying Pain Medication in Public

Does anyone know the exact policy on carrying controlled pain medication? I read somewhere that it is illegal to carry prescription meds in anything but the bottle it was originally dispensed and I'd assume controlled substances would be even stricter. I only get a small amount of norco at a time but they give me an unreasonably big bottle for the amount so typically I peel the label back and stick it to a smaller bottle(still prescription bottle tho) so I dont have a huge bulge in my pocket when I walk around lol, is this legal? As I said it has the prescription label on it and it is in a prescription bottle from the same pharmacy, just not the original bottle it was dispensed from.

I also put my pills(prescript and not) into a mint container before meals to be discreet instead of whipping out 5 bottles at the dinner table(thats just awkward) but it looks like that could definitely be illegal :/ bummer. Also what about weekly pill planners?
advertisement

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 04/26/2014 - 4:20 AM
    When you get your meds dispensed, they can print two labels for the bottles, one for you to carry with you (much smaller bottle with label attached), and one for the main bottle at home. That way, you have the bottle with the label attached, and can carry enough meds with you , legally for the day or duration that you will be away from home. As far as the weekly pill planner goes, you normally wouldn't take that with you out for a day trip or a few days but you can ask them to print you off labels for the meds to keep with the planner.....
    All you have to do is ask the pharmacy to do that for you.
  • Thanks Sandi
    I always leave the major part of my meds at home and take what I need in the bottle with me.
    I don't like to carry all of them with just in case.
    Funny how we never think of those ideas to make it all safe.
    You know so much it is great.
    Thanks Sherri
  • I have them print me off labels to keep with my weekly med box in the event that I do go away with family or vacation.....I don't stick them to the box, but have them on the paper backing, just in case......
    All of this comes from dealing with pain management for some years now......you learn the tricks of the trade mostly be experience.....at least that's what I tell myself.....LOL :-)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    I dont want to carry a lot of different medications around during the day, so I combine them into one small canister, that is my supply for the day.
    I never carry the original pain container.

But I do have a printout (scaled down to fit in my wallet of all my medications)

Is this the suggested way? No, the formal way is to carry all your medications in their original containers
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 04/26/2014 - 8:48 AM
    when i go out or to work, i have a small bottle that i keep my meds in. my problem is that i know this bottle should be labled but i have not done so. so next week i will go to my pharmacy and ask them for a label to put on my bottle. it is a very small bottle but i think the labe should fit. me bad for not doing a label when i know i should have one on the bottle. i guess it is laziness that keeps me from doing it. i usually keep it in my backpack that i take to work. i put everyting in it, my male purse. i put in my phone, my tools that i use, my calculator, food, drinks, wallet, my male items that i use to make myself pretty, comb, uzi 9 millimeter, stiletto blade, hacksaw, dictionary, and computer. everything but no label on my meds. it will be done, yes it will be done.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/26/2014 - 10:38 AM
    i usually keep it in my backpack that i take to work. i put everyting in it, my male purse. i put in my phone, my tools that i use, my calculator, food, drinks, wallet, my male items that i use to make myself pretty, comb, uzi 9 millimeter, stiletto blade, hacksaw, dictionary, and computer. everything but no label on my meds. it will be done, yes it will be done.
    jon

You sound like McGyver lol
  • First, being a woman, I only buy large "shopper" purses that have 3 compartments, the middle compartment has to have a zipper closure. I put all my meds, in their original containers, in a make-up bag and put them in the middle, zipped, compartment of my purse & they go where I go. I'm too afraid to leave them at home, even in a safe. Since there is no circumstance whatsoever that my dr will replace my meds be it robbery, fire, hurricane, tornado, stolen or lost, I have to keep up with them and know where they are at all times. I don't like having to be so conscious of my medications all the time but I guess there isn't an option. The only medication I don't keep in there is my insulin, which has to be kept refrigerated.
  • taren
    i am a lot better looking, inellegent , and humble than he is. plus my hair is combed better and neater.
    jon el perfecto hombre
    yo soy muy wapo tambien
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
    edited 04/26/2014 - 1:18 PM
    Jon, vous etes plein de vous-meme, mais nous je'taime de toute facon!!!! :-)
  • If I have to take a dose while I'm out I put some tablets in a little pill container that is attached to my key ring. I am only taking codeine/paracetamol though, which is not a controlled drug here. I think if I was to do the same with a controlled drug and somehow got caught, it would be alright as long as I could prove they were prescribed to me, but that's just a guess. Some meds come in huge boxes and must be taken a few times a day, they can't expect us to lug the whole lot around, can they?
  • mcjimjam, your pharmacist can give you a smaller bottle with the label on it for you to carry smaller amounts of your meds in so you don't have to take the whole bottle around with you, just gotta ask them to do it for you. :-)
  • Thanks Taren, I'll ask him about that :)
    edited 04/26/2014 - 3:08 PM
    You are very welcome, mcjimjam :-)
  • taren
    i speak pig latin also
    on=jay
  • You can ask for a medium size bottle and have them print off the labels for the meds you need to carry in one bottle and stick the labels on the paper they come on, inside the bottle or into a coin purse to keep the bottle in......One recommendation though, is to put the bottle or coin purse or whatever you are carrying your meds in, into a zip loc bag, in the event that you get caught in weather, it can make the difference between those meds dissolving or not if it gets wet.......
  • I used to carry mine mixed in with my daily vitamins, got on many a plane ride using this method. They would really have to comb through and ID them if they cared to. At $8 an hour, I doubt the TSA cares enough to do so. Now I carry a smaller bottle and paste a label from a bigger bottle on it, this is my usual 3-day supply I'll have with me at any time. I'll take it with me when I fly the next time.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • I never had trouble carrying my narcotics on an airplane. I put them in there bottles and then in my purse. I always carry them where ever I go in my purse. To work...to the Dr..everywhere. never any problems
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day
  • If you are carrying your total prescription amounts with you, everywhere, you are taking unnecessary risks with your medications. What if you dropped or spilled your purse? What if a bottle fell out? What if someone saw them and decided to help themselves to your meds?Your doctors won't replace them, and the risk of accidental overdose for anyone else is too great......you should only carry the amount of medications that you need for the day or few days with you, and secure them, whereever you go.
  • sandi
    i just carry one days worth, 2 pills and the other 2 i leave at home. 4 pills a day, 2 at work and 2 at home. some with the lollipops. they are a bit different because they are wrapped uo but labeled. i put them in a baggy wrapped up until used. better safe than sorry especially with high school students. i also leave them in my backpack where i put this in the closet locked up. at home all are locked up in a safe where only i have the key to open it.
    jon
  • I did the same, Jon, when I used the fentanyl pops. Like you said, each is individually wrapped,but I would also put them in those small snack type zip lock bags, then put them in my purse, I would actually slide them under the lining of my purse. Correct, do not want any kids getting a hold of them, or anything for that fact. What flavor do you use? Mine were like a strawberry type flavor, very fruity tasting-I can see why they get the name lollipop, they taste like one. Those along with the fentanyl patch was my best relief ever.
  • Btw, Jon, comment allez-vous, aujourd'hui?? :-)
  • nein num speakum frechem or gurmin
    der jon
  • taren
    you are the only person i have met on this site that has used the lollipops. do you have them compounded or buy regular? mine are strawberry flavored. the patch kept coming off when i would sweat. i tried to use tape but that did not work so back to oxy for the last 13 years.
    jon
    edited 05/03/2014 - 3:30 AM
    I tried to answer you last night, but I fell asleep with my fingers on the kb lol. No, my lollipops were not compounded. I wish more dr's would prescribe these, as they do work or at least for me they did and apparently they do for you as well. Mine were there 400mcg's, at first, I remember thinking I would never be able to use it up in 15 mins as my dr and pharmacist said I had to lol. While using the patch and the lollipops together was the best pain relief I ever had, but once I moved my dr here would not prescribe them, hence the beginning of my journey with methadone which for the most part works but not as well as the patch and l'pop did. As far as the patch and sweating, did you ever try putting in on your shoulder, that was my favorite place to put mine. When I would put it on my stomach, I would have more movement there with it, due to trying to keep it dry during a bath, shower or plain sweating. I would cover it with plastic and tape it try and keep it dry during my showers. I preferred alternating shoulders. In my opinion, if a person has the diagnosis of chronic pain and something works to control that pain, then a dr should write what works.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 05/03/2014 - 4:24 AM
    i put the patch everywhere and it kept coming off with sweat plus i found the oxy was more effective for me. the lollipops are great but they are expensive even with insurance. 250 or so for 120/month even with insurance and about 1200 with no insurance. i do not know why insurance makes my pain meds more expensive when the other meds i take are only 5 co pay
    go figure
    jon
  • I also have a couple really expensive meds, Butrans and Valacyclovir but nothing that much, that's insane!

These insanely high prices has a lot to do with the patenting system in the US. When a company creates a new drug, or even simply a new formulation of a drug(such as simply putting buprenorphine into a patch or fentynal into a lollipop) they get exclusive selling rights to the new drug/formulation for 14 years. Since they have no competition for their particular drug and their is still a demand because well people are sick, they can literally charge whatever they want for it, thus the ridiculously high price.

Also some drugs are just more expensive than others depending on how hard it is to manufacture, Patches are always gonna be a little more expensive because it requires extra processing to make them.
  • When I first received my compounded cream it came with a nearly $4000 invoice! Not understanding the whole insurance system over here in the USA I nearly lost my mind. My insurance paid for it so it didn't cost me anything in the end. It's terrifying when you see the actual costs of some medications in America.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I carry my prescription in my purse in the Zip lock part of it. Then at work he has lockers for the waiters and waitress. I have a lock on mine at all times. I work double shifts so I have to have all three scripts with me. I usually go to work at 10:30 till 9pm
    Female 44 survivor of thyroid cancer...just had two surgeries for breast cancer and chronic back pain. Live in upstate ny. On 8mg dilaudid 6 a day and 60mg morphine sulf er 2x day
  • I carry just enough for the day when I'm going to work or staying local. If I travel, I'll take my dailys for the duration with me plus a day or so extra in case my flight gets cancelled or something like that.

The rest I stash away, somewhere I have a post about someone getting into mine a couple of years ago Xmas and helping themselves to 12 of them.

LT
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 05/05/2014 - 5:36 AM
    Even working double shifts, there is no reason for you to carry the full prescription with you.....you can ask for a smaller bottle from your pharmacist and carry just enough to get you through your work day and take your last dose at home.
    What are you going to do if someone gets into your bag one day? Or you forget to lock the locker? Or the lock breaks?
advertisement