Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Occipital screws?

Hi everyone!
In advance I would like to thank you for reading and hopefully commenting on this post. I have had an occipital-C2 fusion and found a bump that was painful a while ago. I saw my surgeon and she said it was the screw from the plate and that it hopefully should go away and if not we can re look at it. So I went to my 6 month post op and we injected it with a numbing medicine to make sure it wasn't a neuroma and no luck. So now she's thinking we may need to remove just that one screw. Has anyone had this especially just one of the screws removed so early on. Any answers would be helpful. If had just been a very long road and we are starting to receive the answers that my family had been praying for!
Thanks again!

• the skin, and muscle, and other tissue is so thin in that area, that you are bound to feel the screw, no matter how tiny and close to the bone it is......so removing it might be the answer.
  • i don't know if this helps but i had hardware including screws etc removed. i had to wait for 2 years before they would do it the fusion had to cure and harden before they would go in to remove all the metal that they could. they removed it to help with reduction of my pain which in fact did not work. for a screw i am not sure if you have to wait for 2 yearsl they told me that was the minimum time before removal
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.