Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C Vertebrae replacement and fusion of C456

Hi I am new to this site as I am in desperate pain due to neurosurgeon crushing my C5vertebrae
I had a relatively normal neck prior to this unnecessary operation besides a bone growth which was cutting off part of my spinal cord.

He inserted a disc that was contra indicated indicated for patients with osteoporosis. I have osteoporosis due to adrenal failure a couple of years earlier
I am now crippled with pain and have had another 2operations since the first to replace the crushed vertebrae using bone from my hip and fusion of three levels with plates on both the front and back of my neck.

The orthopedic surgeon who saved me said the initial operation was not necessary and the bone growth could have been removed with non evasive surgery. There was nothing wrong with my discs in my neck.

By the time he saw me I only had 2mm left of my L5 vertebrae and the screws holding the Zero P artificial disc were loose. He said I was only weeks away from being in a wheel chair. If the vertebrae had snapped or or the screws had migrated It could have caused permanent damage to my spinal cord.

I still have a slightly indented spinal cord.

The nerve pain is non stop, and so severe it feels like a knife is being stabbed in my neck and shoulder An electrical current goes up my neck to the base of my skull and puts pressure on my skull as well as behind my eyes

I have to wear ice packs 24/7 on my neck as the heat surrounding the vertebrae causes me to pass out. I wake up every couple of hours to replace the ice packs.

I have tried everything including physio hydro therapy, a month in physical reha. I wear a tens machine as well as take multiple medications.

I barely make it through the day and I just don't know what to do. I am waiting to see a Neurologist to find out the cause of the nerve pain but that is another month away.

I also have a Herniated L4,5 S1 discs and a T 10vertebrae wedge fracture which causes severe sciatia.

I am only 40years old and have had a successful career up until now. I am slim and healthy. I also suffer from fibromyalgia.

I feel trapped inside the body of a 100year old and I really don't want to continue living in this agony.

Everyday is a struggle and I don't have a life. Everything I try to do causes my neck to spasm and I pass out unless I lay down.

My job was my life and as I can't even stand or sit up for more than 1to 2hours I have had to put my career on hold which causes me to isolate myself as without a job I feel worthless.

What can I do?
Has anyone else had a vertebrae replaced?
How long does it take to heal?
What could be causing this severe nerve pain?

I would really appreciate some support as I am honestly can't go on living in this hell.

The Neurosurgeon is being investigated but this will take months. It also doesn't change my situation. I just want my life back.