Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Terrible Pain when Standing

Hello There !

I have been practicing Tango dancing for over 2 year now. And i do alot of torsions and flexions when i dance. I am 29 years old and never had back problems in my life.. Two months ago when i came back from a Tango Ball, i felt irritation in my lower back. Thinking it was muscular problem i thought it would go away. But it became worse day by day. I took and X ray and an MRI. It shows slight reduction in disc size of L4 and L5. I also shows very small listhesis in the L5. I do not have any pain going down my legs. The pain is localised in the lumbar region

I have terrible pain when i stand for more than 3- 4 mins in one position. However walking cause burning sensations when i walk for 100mts. Sitting for extended periods of time causes burning and stabbing pain too. The pain is like a knife being pierced into my back and turned at the same time. I can bend forward, back ward and sides too. The only thing that gives me relief is when i am lying down and there is no weight on the lower back.

My doctor told me that I must have torn a disc but this does not show on the MRI. My question is : Is there a possibility that i have stress fractured a facet joint ?

What can i do to confirm that i havent fractured a facet joint?

Could a torn disc but not herniated cause so much pain when standing ?

Anxiously awaiting reply

• Maybe try a bone scan instead of an MRI. My GP explained they are much better for bone diagnosis. I had pain for 8 years incorrectly diagnosed until I had a bone scan. Also if you have an MRI (he told me these are better for soft tissue) try for a standing MRI. There are a lot in the US. If lying down helps you a standing or sitting MRI makes more sense. Look at the difference on You Tube. Nothing except the obvious showed up on a prone MRI for me. I think when you lie down your spine probably goes naturally back into place especially if standing and sitting hurt.

Sleeping with a pillow between your knees helps take the pressure off your spine. Check to see if your hips are aligned. If not I wear built up shoes on one side. Don't know how you are going to Tango without heels but it's worth a try. Seems to have gone on too long for muscle damage but if you are still dancing Tango you may be reinjuring yourself .

My pain was like a knife being twisted in my spine and never went away. How well I know that pain. They worked out eventually it was the one on top of my 80% wedge crushed T5 thoracic spine. It was crushed to the side not to the front so it was my T4 slipping out continually to the right causing my pain.

Keep a pain diary every day for a week - one side activity - other side pain level. I kept mine every 30 minutes. It was interesting that the things I thought were doing me good - like walking the dog were causing the most pain. It helps the Drs as well to pinpoint mire accurately - that's the theory at least but I stopped doing the things that exacerbated my pain.

So maybe also get a sports physiotherapist to look at the ones above and below your painful area. If it is mechanical ask them to put your spine into correct alignment - after 8 years of agony it was instant pain relief.