Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can yoga cure sciatica ?

Can yoga exercises ultimately cure sciatica ? If not cure it, can regular yoga exercises stop it from worsening ? Please answer clearly to both questions. Thank you.
So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny? ~ Quran 55:18

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Cant cure it, but when done under approved methods, it can help deal with the associated pain.
    It wont stop the problem. Until the root problem (disc that is impinging on a nerve root) is eliminated, nothing will really stop it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 04/27/2014 - 5:18 PM
    The disc that is causing the impingement can possibly be re-absorbed by your body through guided PT but that isn't a guarantee. The best guarantee is to have the part of the disc that is problematic removed.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • A common cause of sciatica is a herniated disc that is pressing on a nerve. This can sometimes go away on it's own or with physical therapy (yoga positions are often part of PT), other times surgery is needed. So... Kind of. It is worth getting routine from a physiotherapist that is tailored to your spinal condition. I imagine some yoga moves are helpful and some aren't.
  • my feeling is that whatever floats your boat, if you want to try to and it does not harm or hurt your problem, then why not. but to me it is like chiropractors, getting into the shape of a pretzle would not seem to help the pressure on the nerve it would seem to hurt it. but after consulting with a doctor, neurologist or a orthopedic surgeon, if they said it would be ok, then i would go for it. like a professor of mine said, whatever is legal and ethical works. so if you think it helps and your doctors think no harm no foul then go for it. i am too fat and too old and not limber enough to do yoga, but i am still extremely handsome and intelligent so these facts keep me going. oh also i forgot humble also.
    handsome jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.