Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Localized tightness/pain in lower right back

BYUfanaticBBYUfanatic Posts: 1
edited 04/27/2014 - 3:14 PM in Lower Back Pain

First-time poster here.

The last couple of years have been a pretty challenging one for me spine-wise. Two summers ago I had what the doctor suspects to be a burst disc in my neck - C5 I believe. I'm still dealing with the effects from that - very pronounced weakness in right triceps and numbness in index and middle finger of right hand. I've improved a lot over the past couple of years, but still have a long ways to go. Had an EMG test (I think that's what it's called) and showed there is still nerve conduction issues between neck and right triceps and right index/middle fingers.

The other issue is my lower back - specifically a localized pain on the right side of the spine right where the belt line is (where NORMAL people would wear their pants at). That particular spot has been giving me different kinds of issues over the past 3 years.

I work out regularly. I go to the gym and lift weights 6 days a week. I used to do squats at least once a week. Now I no longer do them because I have no wish to strain my back or potentially cause more harm.

It used to be that every once in a while, when doing squats, my back would feel a little tighter than normal and if I wasn't careful, I'd feel a "pop." I'm guessing a pulled or strained muscle. This would hurt for a week or so, then go away.

A couple years ago I started showing symptoms for facet joint syndrome in that spot - very sharp, severe pain if I moved or bent over in a specific way. It wasn't constant, but it was intense. It seems like it went away (at least the sharp, intense pain). Every once in a very long while, I'll feel a little bit of that kind of pain, but not often and it goes away pretty quick.

What I do have now is a constant "tightness" feeling that is very localized. Right at the belt line immediately to the right side of the spine. It doesn't radiate anywhere and feels like a pulled/strained muscle. If I do stretching exercises it helps loosen it a little and gives me more range of motion, but it still feels tight. I feel like if I gave it a good hard twist it would "crack" and everything would feel fine. But the twisting-type stretching that I do seems to help out.

This summer I plan on going to get checked out (both my neck and lower back), but would like to know if anyone has experienced similar before with their lower back?