I'm a new forum member and I've been suffering from sciatica related issues down my left leg for the past 2 yrs.
I'll keep this reasonably short, but the important details are...
- Diagnosed with herniated disc/pinched nerve via MRI last year (but this injury may have occured playing soccer 8yrs ago)
- Hamstrings, hips flexors, glutes, lower back are all often very tight. (I'm tall at 6'3", 35yrs old)
- Uncomfortable to sit for prolonged periods (in left buttock/hammy)
- Have tried copius amounts of physiotherepy and chiro
- Very disciplined around lower back and hammy streches every day, and I've changed my work-desk to a stand-up station
- Swim every 2nd/3rd day (with pull bhoy), and some cross trainer on low
Recovery is slow and sometimes I feel like I'm getting nowhere.
I think key to my full recovery is to understand the following phenomena;
I am in 2 states constanty, a)very stiff lower back/hips with no sciatica, or b)back is relaxed but with sciatica symptoms through left buttock/hammy/calf/foot.
Can anyone explain the exact mechanics of these 2 opposing states? Are stiff muscles actually preventing nerve irritation?
These states are pretty consistant so I feel that a better understanding of the mechanics could help me speed up my recovery.
Thanks in advance,