Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Return of pain after hemilaminectomy

I had L4/L5 hemilaminectomy 2.5 weeks ago. I,mediately got rid of hip and leg nerve pain and muscle spasms. Pain started to return on 8th day. Now 2.5 weeks later pain is back at previous levels with muscle spasms when I sit. At the two week follow up I was told that pain may increase for a while, up to 4-6 weeks but then will subside. I don't feel like this is going to get better. The nerve was successfully decompressed for a short period of time but now is very obviously compressed again and pain is just like before if not worse. Has anyone had immediate relief, followed by severe nerve pain and spasms at the 2-3 wk mark and then recovered?
John B

• Welcome, I'm sorry that you are experiencing a flare up of pain since your surgery but your surgeon is correct..........When a nerve is compressed, prior to surgery, and that compression is removed, or the nerve is moved during surgery, it gets angry....and the nerve and pain post op can flare up for some time.......once things settle down again, the pain can and often does disappear just as quickly as it appeared......
    Keep doing what you were told as far as post op restrictions, walking, sitting and standing limits and take things one day at a time......spine surgery recovery is not like other surgeries......there are often one step forward and apparent two steps back, until one day , you are finally taking more steps forward and fewer back.
  • I hope this pain will just go away as it came back . The pain is a nightmare.
  • edited 04/11/2015 - 3:32 PM
    there seems to be very many different "terms" used to describe the surgery on has endured. I was told I was having a microdisectomy , however as I got further in after surgery I learned I had a laminectomy as well as the microdisectomy, which I researched on my own because I had the rarest of disk herniation which is an extrusion. I did not have any instrumentation just the disk removed from the nerve. This was all left sided leg pain from an injury, never had any back pain. But MRI confirmed the disk extrusion. I too started having pain about 2 weeks after. Left sided and now right sided my surgeon did a post surgical MRI did you have that?
    Also there a non narcotic meds that can help nerves relax, did doc suggest a med? I unfortunately am 12 months post op from my surgery call it what you will no instrumentation and two failed post surgical epidurals one severe..I've had land PT water PT traction, have had 9 mris , one bone scan, full arthritic lyme, blood work, xrays, a nerve test which I question because I had been on valium at the time of the test then I read later in an article you should not take a sedative drug with this test????and aside from scar tissue and some neuroforaminal encroachment but all still left sided nothing to explain severe right sided pain back is a dull ache now because its had surgery I'm sure but I've described its like sitting on a rock on the right buttock for hours and my tail bone is so predominant now my pain doesn't go down the back of leg like most sciatic sufferers... mine goes around hip increase of where your hip sits and travels over top of leg into inner thigh sometimes into the lower extremity. Like its burning line in a vice... Ive been diagnosed since surgery with SI joint, femoral nerve dysfunction, periformis, I don't think many doctors diagnose this, but every time they try something to help these conditions they just cause more pain...including PT...So now neuro surgeon is suggesting what ever you call disk removal and instrumentation and fusion and clean up scar tissue, I am going to bring to his attention on Monday when we discuss that I did read on another thread that someone had particles from their laminectomy that did not show up on the MRI which is what I feel may be happening in my case maybe something so untraceable by test that they can only see once going in ?? is rubbing against this scar tissue, has itself wedged into a nerve and because my activity brings on pain maybe its freaking out my peripheral nerve system???

as for you john b maybe and hopefully you are not this scenario I wish this on no one I've lost my job to this and I know there are those worse but we in this back pain don't compare mines worse then yours because if it has any impact on your quality of life ...well enough said....

I would suggest calling dr and ask about post op MRI, and maybe meds to help the nerve calm down thats why I had the failed epidural...but it works for others...
    This can't be happening
  • to repost this under new topic maybe since in reading yours I put this together maybe someone on here will relate to my current situation...good luck john b keep me posted
    This can't be happening
  • My brother Had neck surgery first, then the back fusion. After the neck surgery he was left with nerve pain on the left side of his abdomen. He has severe pain and can't stand for anything or anyone to touch his abdomen. He is now taking lyrica nad applying lidocaine patches to that area of his abdomen for pain relief. After the spinal fusion from his lumbar to the sacrum he has been left with a new problem which is knee pain. He had a MRI and was told by his PCP that it was arthritis in the knee and an old knee injury. He was referred to an orthopedic surgeon. He was examined by the orthopedic surgeon. After the torough exam by the surgeon he was told that the knee problem was neurological. Before the lumbar fusion he was experiencing severe pain that ran down the left leg. Now he is having severe knee pain. The knee gives out and now he is having mutiple falls along with his post back surgery and his painful abdomen. Has anyone out there experienced these symptoms. My brother use to be very outgoing, now he can't even get out the house, because of the severe abdominal pain, and the continous falling. Also his left foot is experiencing weakness and he feels he has no control over it. This is depressing and he just wants his life back. Please help.