Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Concentration Problems

Anyone else have this problem?? Some days, like today, nothing is making sense. I can read and re-read something and it still makes no sense, its like my mind can't comprehend the words in front of me. Is this caused by chronic pain or just the way I'm wired, some days or lack of wiring?? Is this the definition of "brainfog"?? I type a response to a post and as I'm saving it, I'm wondering is it a response to a correct post or what was the post even about, for that matter?? I'm not even for sure if what I'm writing now is making sense to anyone other than to my own brain.....maybe, I need a nap-or more coffee, maybe that's it...I just haven't had enough coffee yet?? Anyone, can't concentrate or brain is all over the place? Should I close my blinds and put up my "out of the office" sign for the rest of the day??
advertisement

Comments

• This is a great post. I work in a hospital lab and I know if I'm in agony, I make mistakes (minor ones)- no matter how hard I try to concentrate.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    I can never tell when or why it happens, but I go into the ozone layer and my mind stops to work. My wife could ask me a question and my response would have nothing to do with the question. Other times, I am fine

Perhaps I should worry more about this. Could it be from long term medicine usage, from pain, from a little wine, from age??
    Or all the above
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 04/29/2014 - 5:25 AM
    At my parents golf club they call them 'Senior Moments'.. I've been a 'senior since my late 30's! I'm like you Ron & I've never really worried about it. I think it's just another little gift from the chronic pain club. I find it far worse In the mornings & evenings when my pain is a little more in focus. How can we expect our brains to be sharp with PAIN screaming in the background?

What was I talking about? Ha ha. ;-)

Sometimes I find it almost impossible to concentrate on what my kids or husband are talking about. It can be exhausting just trying to follow the most basic conversation. I know this is just pain levels rising but in the past I've been completely zombiefied by medications. Morphine, Lyrica & Cyclobenzaprine was the worst cocktail ever! I found it so embarrassing trying to hold even a very basic conversation & predictably this opened the door to the 'Beast'. Now I make sure that I 'keep an eye on myself' & tell my husband when I starting a new medication.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've got menapause brain for sure, on top of everything else.

Drug wise, the absolute worst as far as this issue went for me is neurontin. I don't know if you take it, but if you do, it could explain some of what you are feeling.
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Hmmmm, peri-menopausal here, couldn't be that though cuz the men complain they get concentration issues also. I know the men here aren't menopausal, Jon being the exception of course lol--Ba-zinga, Jon ;-)

Couldn't be the neurontin either, I have been on this same dose (2700 mgs) forever. It's not everyday I have this, just some days-kind of like Ron described, I have ozone layers...

English, I like the "senior moment" metaphor--my bones feel senior and now so does my brain.

Thank goodness a day is only 24 hours long!!
  • buffgirl23bbuffgirl23 Posts: 76
    edited 04/29/2014 - 6:13 AM
    Or maybe it's just "selective hearing" !! LOL
    That is mandatory for any married man.
    In fact, if you look deep into the wedding oaths going back hundreds of years, there is that one statement

As man and husband, it is recognized and accepted that you will have selective hearing
  • I had a great answer to this post but I forgot what I was going to say.
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • TarenTTaren Posts: 524
    edited 04/29/2014 - 11:04 AM
    *Ron says" "As man and husband, it is recognized and accepted that you will have selective hearing"

Ron, it is also written & goes back hundreds of years, that if "man" chooses to partake in "selective hearing" that woman/wife had the right to slap said man/husband until he is able to hear again ;-)
    edited 04/29/2014 - 11:03 AM
    Ok, I don't want to promote physical violence--the wife can no longer, slap her husband for choosing to use selective hearing but she can resort to electric shock therapy until he can hear again. It also goes back hundreds of years, but back then selective hearing was taken care of by a hot cattle brander but as time and people evolved, it was found that electric shock therapy was more humane and a kinder gentler way of making sure that husband/man hung on woman/wife's every word. ;-)
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 04/29/2014 - 8:47 AM
    Taren. I understand that it's only natural to search for modern breakthroughs & advanced techniques to deal with our issues but sometimes we have to accept that the old tried & true methods are the best. They've been around for hundreds of years for a reason.. because they work! stop looking for that 'Magic Bullet', it doesn't exist. We have to accept the inevitable & "Jab Slap" away!!! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
    edited 04/29/2014 - 11:10 AM
    Lol, slapping, hot cattle branders or electric shock therapy--whatever it takes as long as the job gets done, I couldn't agree more!!!! ;-)
  • i thought you said constipation issues. no wonder i took a bunch of x-lax this morning after you wrote that . no wonder i can't think. i was full of my self but no longer. it reminds me of an old boy scout song, if you get on first and you feel a little burst........oh never mind.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
    then that may explain why I have one side of my face redder than the other!

(and yes, I do not want to promote any physical violence, there is never a place for that)

Wait a second, hot cattle brander, thats going hurt Electric shock therapy.. I like that, thats what my tens unit is for.
    But sometimes I dont understand, with double A batteries, its just a twitch, but when my wife wants to help me more and connects to AC plug, its a lot more than a twitch.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    This could have nothing to do with pain or your pain meds. As i discovered it was low sodium levels.
    Susan
  • Funny you mention this. I had forgotten about this but I remember with my last blood work with my Rheumatologist said my sodium level was low, not too low, but low all the same. I see her again in May, I plan to talk to her about this.

Aaron, I know what you mean when you say that you have had trouble forming a word, I have had this happen too & these are words I have known all my life. I never trust myself to spell a word correctly anymore either, even though spelling has never been an issue until the last few years.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 04/30/2014 - 3:28 PM
    it is called dysphagia i believe and i have it major. i cant think of a word to use and either i have to wait for the word to come to me or ask my wife. it is really irritating and i attribute it to the meds. the ole brain aint what it used to be before i started my meds. i am in a fog and can feel it. oh well better a fog than a rainstorm.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Sorry but it is sort of relief I am not the only one. I have noticed that fog
    over the last four months or so. I thought it was the change of meds.
    which occurred about that time but at that time he increased my Oxytocin
    to three a day 30 m and dropped my Endocet. The pain increased
    maybe that had something to do with it but then again I am a oldie but goodie
    66 this year. I think its a combination of things but drives me crazy I
    forget what I was going to do on the way to do it.
    Sherri
  • In my case I attribute it to long-term effects of pain medication. I have poor concentration at times and I use spread sheets to keep track of things at work more and more.

When I was documenting my car accident related doctor appointments, expenses, etc., it was all done on spread sheets.

LT
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • When I was on neurontin. Not only could I not think of words sometimes, but I had trouble speaking, would often stutter/slur my words. I remember at x-mas explaining to my family that I was not drunk, but having side effects from meds. They know & love me & I know didn't doubt what I was saying for a second, but it was still embarrassing.

I rarely have any side effects from meds, but for me this drug was bad news! Plus, it did nothing for the leg pain. From this forum, I've learned that I was on a relatively low dose, & there was a lot of room to go up, & maybe it could help my leg pain, but frankly, I'll take the leg pain over those side effects.

Haven't tried Lyrica, but plan to talk to Dr about it on my next visit.

It's not a narc pain med, right? I don't want to make a mistake & ask for something that could make me look bad
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Is great for nerve pain in your legs, in my opinion, nothing works better. You dr can gradually adjust your dosage until optimal results are reached. You can't give up on it after a few doses, everyone usually has those same side effects when they first start taking it but after a few days your body will acclimate itself to the medication and you will begin to realize the benefits. I remember when I first started taking it I felt like I could not keep up with myself. How many days did you take the Neurontin before you decided to not take it? Did you call your dr and tell him you stopped taking it? Did he try you on something else at that point?

How long have you had nerve pain? Have you not been taking anything for it? Have you tried any of the other anti-convulsants for your nerve pain? They work really well, but you have to give them a chance and work through those common side effects you have experienced, just remember we all have them.

No, MSG, Lyrica is not a opiate. How could talking to your dr about Lyrica and your nerve pain make you "look bad?" If you do start taking it, you most likely, will experience the side effects like you did with the neurontin. Just remember the side effects are common but only temporary.
  • terror8396 said:
    it is called dysphagia i believe and i have it major. i cant think of a word to use and either i have to wait for the word to come to me or ask my wife. it is really irritating and i attribute it to the meds. the ole brain aint what it used to be before i started my meds. i am in a fog and can feel it. oh well better a fog than a rainstorm.
    jon
    Jon, I am constantly looking at my husband and asking him, "what's the word I'm looking for?" It can get very frustrating for sure. I hate that "fog" feeling. I blame it on my age, but most likely it is the meds, or maybe it's a combination of the two. We need someone to invent a "smart pill" that each CP patient can take along with their pain meds to prevent us from loosing our minds, what little there is left, anyway. ;-)
  • taren
    i know diysphasia or how ever it is spelled, can come be due to other things besides pain meds. since i deal with learning disabilites, i first heard of it when i was getting my special ed credential. i believe i first had it but not bad before i took meds. then it got worse with time. it is bad when trying to remember names. i have kids in my room and i have to look at the roll sheet to remember their names some times. sometimes i have to google something to get the name and or answer. it drives me crazy. thanks baren oh i mean staren, or flaren or yes finally taren.
    ron, no bon, no fawn, no bomb, no jon finally got it
  • I'm constantly using Google, trying to figure out what the heck it is I'm trying to talk about. Simple words I have known all my life, I now find not only hard to remember, but just as hard to spell. does 'i' go before "e" or is it "e" before "i"? Do I double the constant before adding "ing" or drop the vowel before adding "ing" or where does the "y" go--do I drop it, do I keep it?? What is that word that means, this or that or the other?? When I leave the room to go get something I forget what I went after & forget going into a grocery store for more than 3 items without a list....lol the more I write on this subject the more I find I'm laughing at myself. Thank goodness my name is on the front of my truck or I'd never be able to find it in a parking lot. I guess we all have the same issue, Don...ummm, Tom, errr I mean, Jon
  • get so bad i go though the alphabet to try to remember name and other things
    jon
  • Have you tried word association? I have tried that one before to help me remember something, I have noticed lately that it seemed to work better a few years ago than it does now.....Soon, I'm thinking we are all gonna be sitting in a rubber room together trying to remember what we are there for ;-)
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
    edited 05/03/2014 - 11:15 AM
    ive tried everything and i mean everything but nothing helps
    jon
advertisement