Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What causes this pain?

I've been suffering from lower back pain (mostly back spasms) for most of my life. Fortunately, they only occur a few times per year, at most, and my core exercises clear it up within a few days. A typical event, I drop an item at the store that weighs a few ounces and when I bend over, I feel a very sharp stabbing pain in the middle of my lower back. That pain goes away almost immediately but the next morning my body is all twisted from back spasms. Does anybody have an idea what might cause that pain?

I ask because I recently had an L4/L5 discectomy to solve a different pain issue and now I wonder if that weak disc may have been my problem all along and more importantly, perhaps now cured. I forgot to ask my doctor during my last visit but plan to bring it up next time.

Thanks for any thoughts!

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy

• backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 05/01/2014 - 6:20 AM
    because you have already had spinal surgery I would say its just because you have a weak back and just be careful when doing anything in the future ..incidentally my normally healthy wife [nurse for the last 35 years has started with similar back problems she is 50 .its the first time in 18 years that I have seen her in agony and stay in all day ..she know has some idea of what I have to go through every day !! ..pain is pain and when you are not used to it its can be very scary and debilitating ,
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • that you are pinching the nerve related to that particular muscle........and that sets off the muscle spasms.
    Since it is relieved, with relatively little intervention it may be that strengthening and stretching a bit might keep it from happening, but I would discuss it with your surgeon at your next visit.
  • kbiggerkkbigger Posts: 22
    edited 05/02/2014 - 3:38 AM
    was your discectomy? I had intitial back pain relief from a microdiscectomy at l4-5, and now the sciatic pain is gone, but my back pain has come back terribly. I I am hoping continued core exercises at therapy will help this problem, but it is hard to do some things at therapy when you are having back pain. Just be cautious at first, as I am 3 months out, and the first month was not bad at all for my back, but with increased activity, and the muscles being weaker, you are more likely to cause the back to become inflammed or aggravated, and then the battle begins again. The stronger you could make those muscles without pain, the more successful you should be with avoiding those spasms. I have had 2 flair ups with the spasms, and they are tough to deal with. Hope you continue with your success!
  • My discectomy was March 20th. I haven't had the back spasm issue for a while. I started up my core exercises yesterday. They seemed to go quite painlessly but this morning I had a reminder from my back. Not bad pain but hard to describe....I usually refer to it was tweaking

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy
  • you dont have any more back issues. Mine did start with a few tweaks though. A quick pain that goes away. Then I twist and it would happen again and go away. But I noticed as I started doing more, about the 2 month mark, I was getting a lot more of those quick tweaks, that made my back seize up after it became so sore and trying to protect the disc. The muscles get so weak, when you over do it, the muscles are going to want to protect what it thinks is hurt. My advice is to take it slow, so you can get the core going and you don't have to worry about a set back. Stop if anything gives you pain. It isn't worth what could become a problem. Be careful! good luck!