Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member, dad (of twins) Low back pains / leg pains

Hi all. I ran across this site doing a lot of web searching lately.

I'm 36 (in July) and a father of 3. First is almost 7, the other two are about 7 months old. I'm 6'3" and about 205lb. Back pain started about 3 weeks ago. Wanted to share my story so far and see if any similar situations or ideas.

A few times a week, for a while, every time I would get out of a particular vehicle seat my lower back would hurt for maybe 2 minutes. Then, 3 weeks ago, rolled out of bed and noticed "hey, my left thigh AND lower back both hurt". Now, by hurt, I mean maybe a 3-4 on the pain scale. Which for someone usually pain-free is noticable! For a few days it was thigh/buttocks/knee/part of calf alternating what hurt and what didnt. Buttocks was either bilaeral or mainly left side.

Advil seemed to help some and early the next week I saw a doctor. She deemed it 'Sacroiliac' issues, gave me some stretches to do and told me to give it 2 weeks and stay on the advil. I had success with 600mg 3x/day. Stretches werent making it any better, and maybe worse, so I stopped them and gave it a rest. During all this, of course, I need to be present for helping with our infants, who still enjoy an occasional feed at night. Or two. Lets just say pure rest was/is hard to come by. When someone handed me a baby on the left side, I felt the top of my buttocks area on the left start to ache.

The following week, say my regular GP, who again said give it 7-10 days. Gave me a proper 600mg prescription for ibuprofen, and a muscle relaxer for night. The discomfort would come and go - the back, alternating with buttocks/thigh. The leg issues have *very gradually* been subsiding, I think. I had made an appointment with a orthopedist this past Monday, and I kept the appointment since still had symptoms. They did an x-ray (no issues seen), and did all the leg pulls and other things and couldn't generate back pain from them. Gave me a Medrol Dose Pack, which I started 2 days ago. I have seen continued very slow progress on the Medrol, with still having occasional leg discomfort and more notable now in the back, like a 2 discomfort. I'm on day 3 of 6 of Medrol. Now, the pains seem to move around my lower back, left, then right, then also sometimes up mid-back on the left or right of my spine in the lats area.

My day job involves a lot of "sitting" and I have modified my situation to have more stand-up computer use and will lay down in my office for 5 minutes or so when I need to. Lifting or moving anything makes my back feel funny, even on the medicine. I've been making a concerted effort to lift mainly with my legs, especially to handle the babies.

I am under a doctor's care and following his instructions, I guess the next step would be a follow up in 2 weeks and MRI. I don't have any of the ominous signs for back pain...like fever, waking at night from pain, weight loss, etc. Laying down is one sure way to make the discomfort stop, and I can sleep well...until interrupted by our daughters. Sitting is often the worst, but sometime I can sit without a problem at all. Walking is generally fine. I have times of no problems and other times of discomfort. I dont mind the discomfort if I know its healing...part of me wants a MRI to rule out any horrible problems like tumors

Anyone else been in a situation like this? Is this sort of thing just likely to be weeks and weeks of very gradual improvement?

• I am going to include several links for you........just to put your mind at ease, the odds of it being a tumor or anything of that nature are very, very slim.......so hopefully that eases your mind.
    Back pain is the most common cause for visits to the doctors in the world. Almost all of us, at one time or another are going to experience back pain. In most cases, it resolves on it's own, with the proper combination of rest, heat, stretching and strengthening.

The next link is to a dermatome map.......this shows you where each level of the spine innervates an area of your body. This might help you to figure out where the pain is located and where on your body it is effected.....

The next link is anatomy of the spine

Getting an accurate diagnosis

This link outlines the steps to getting treatment for ongoing back or neck pain

• That's a lot of work! I would definetley follow through on the MRI, just to know for sure what's going on. An MRI is important too, because if a specific condition is found, PT can be prescribed for that specific condition, rather than "general" PT which can make some people worse.

You are very lucky that you can control your pain with ibuprofen, & not narcotics. However, long term use can really do a number on your stomach, so if possible, try to minimize how much & how long you take it for.

I once had a chiropractor tell me "there is no ergonomically correct way to carry a child", & the fact that I bet you are often carrying 2 at a time at a time is not helping you.

I found that when I fed my baby, if I just held them, it put a lot of strain on my lower back. However, if I put a pillow on my lap & laid the baby on the pillow, it took most of the strain on my lower back away. I would use a smaller pillow under where their head was so the would be at a slight angle & not choke. Lots of people use boppies, but I never found them to be comfortable.

Anyway, keep us posted on your MRI results, & hope you are feeling better soon!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • Tomback122TTomback122 Posts: 1
    edited 05/08/2014 - 7:49 AM
    HI, I was wondering if you had tried acupressure mats? I had back pain for about 5 years and back surgery in 2012. After the surgery i still had pain and started using these acupressure mat since i saw it on television show EDITED show name and product name. It has helped me with my back pain and all other sore parts of my body.

Post edited by Sandi- Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
    You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.