Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Greetings all,

I am a 46 step father of two wonderful girls. I had my first ACDF in September of 2012 where I had a C5-C7 fusion with fixation. At first the surgery seemed to work until late last summer my symptoms of pain between the shoulders and under by shoulders came back and proceeded to get worse. I recently had a meylogram and a MRI which showed I did not fuse. I am waiting to get scheduled for a revision surgery in early June.

The one think I find odd about my situation is that I did not fuse and my wife that had a L5-S1 fusion, this the same doctor at the same hospital that did my surgery, did not fuse as well. My wife just had her revision in January, different doc this time, of this year and is doing much better this time around.
2012 C5-C7 ACDF with fixation - failed to fuse
June 2014 - Planned revision surgery

• Did the surgeon use your own bone or donor? There are many reasons why a patient does not fuse, not all of them the surgeon or the patient's fault......do you smoke? Did you use any anti inflammatory medications leading up to or after your surgery? Did your wife?
    I'm sorry that you and your wife needed to undergo surgery again . It happens, I've had it happen twice, once with the use of bone morphogenic protein, and the first time with my own bone....
    Hopefully, this time, you will obtain a solid fusion and be able to resume your life.

• I do not smoke, I quit all NSAIDS before and after surgery. My first surgery used the the PEEK inserts. The inserts are well placed but I never fused. This surgery will be a posterior approach as I have had some throat issues as well after my ACDF. For this surgery my surgeon is using donor bone and a simulator. In my wife's case she had broken hardware along with a non fusion.

The one thing that they did find with both of us is that we were vitamin d deficient. We have corrected this through supplements so hopefully this will help.
    2012 C5-C7 ACDF with fixation - failed to fuse
    June 2014 - Planned revision surgery
  • I had my first and second fusion fail, so I understand the frustration and concerns......as I said earlier, there are lots of reasons why a fusion may fail, and having had hardware fail on my first fusion, I understand....
    All that being said, I was also vitamin d deficient, so maybe that played a role? Hopefully, this time, with your correcting that deficiency, hopefully, you will be posting that you fused successfully and that things are better..
  • dave
    did your doctor give you a brace to wear.? if he did it is very important to wear it or the fusion can fail also. follow your doctors instructions to the letter especially lifting and bending and all other ones like twisting also
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.