Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Staying overnight at hospital

I just got asked today by hospital when they called to confirm surgery for Monday if I was staying over. I told her I didn't know and asked her if I was. She told me the doctor did reserve a bed for me and it was a possibility. I asked her how I would know if I was staying over. She told me it depended on how I felt. I will be on pain meds so not sure if I will even know how I feel. I am getting implant up into cervical so it will be much higher where the nerves meet and the tunnelling will go much higher. Does anyone have any opinions on staying overnight? I have a 45 minute ride home from hospital. Part of me thinks it is a good idea to have some one at my beck and call all night but the other part of me thinks it might just be better to go right home before pain hits until waiting until last day. Never had an option of staying at the hospital. I was either told it was day surgery or I was staying over.

• I have never had the option of staying overnight in the hospital either! How you talk to your doctor about why they reserved the bed, just in case your doctor might know something the hospital doesn't. As far as staying overnight or going home, that is a tough decision to make. I would be tempted to stay in the hospital where I had easy access to medical care, but I would also want to be home and in my own bed. Do you have anybody that is staying the night with you if you don't stay in the hospital? If not I would recommend the hospital, but I think either one will be fine. I had a pain pump implanted and did not stay overnight in the hospital, and probably would not have stayed even if it was an option. I feel that I get better quicker and my own home where I am more comfortable. Also, like you, I wanted to get home before the anesthesia wore off and my pain came back. Either way good luck and let us know how your surgery goes!
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • could you not decide on the day after the op?see how you feel?
    I think it might be better to stay over as then you have instant access to medical staff.
    Its only one night,but I feel it would give you that security.
    Its funny how hospital stays vary hospital to hospital and consultant to consultant.Ive noticed this a lot with surgery.People get booked in for different time periods for the same op,Im sure I read on here someone saying they only stayed three days in hospital for a spinal fusion! My consultant said your in hospital for a min of a week?!
    If its offered then id take it but that's me ...
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 05/13/2014 - 4:23 AM
    They usually don't offer SCS patients an overnight stay due to the risk of infection. I wish I would of been offered it though. You are going to need someone to be with you after the implant surgery. I would rather have my whole spine fused, than have to go thru the pain of that SCS surgery again. It still hurts and I got it in February. The tunneling thru the skin isn't the bad part, it the two incision areas that are horribly painful. I would spend the night in the hospital if given the opportunity.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I stayed two nights after my laminectomy to place the paddle at T8 to T10. The first week is tough, you'll need help from someone but once you get past day five, it will seem easy.