Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

disability, the recession, and recovery. no money aviable to pay for wc

Here is an interesting article regarding disability, and the recession, and what should be done by a writer. interesting read. some of couse will be dismissive of it but it makes good points and how fraud disrupts the economic recovery. by 2016 there will not be enough money to cover all of the claims. whoops what to do in 2016

Between December 2007, when the recession kicked in, and June 2009, when it officially ended, the number of Americans in receipt of disability benefits increased from 7.1 million to 7.6 million. Then the rolls swelled, reaching 8.9 million in March 2013. This constitutes approximately 5.4 per cent of the civilian workforce between the ages of 25 to 64. In 1970, a presumably significantly healthier population suffered from only 1.7 per cent on disability welfare.

Since the recession ended, more individuals have gone on disability on net than new workers have joined the work force. In 2012, Social Security paid nearly $137 billion to 8.8 million disabled workers and 2.1 million of their spouses and children. Related Medicare outlays were approximately $80 billion. Program trustees estimate that by 2016 Social Security will not be able to cover all of the disability claims.

A number of states encourage their residents to apply for SSDI support as a means for reducing their own welfare costs. States save money when federal disability checks replace state-aid benefits. Former workers on federal disability can also switch from state-supported health insurance programs – such as Medicaid – to Medicare.

Of course, there are genuine cases of worker disability, and a suitable fully-funded SSDI program should take care of such instances. Currently, however, the program is dominated by fraud. The federal government should deal exclusively with clearly identifiable disabilities and recipients should be evaluated at six monthly intervals by government-appointed physicians. The welfare cheats should expect to stand on their own two feet, back pains and mental disorders notwithstanding. What was good enough for the 1970s is good enough for the twenty-first century. Back to work should be the clarion call – you have nothing to lose except your neuroses and your excessive love of remunerated leisure!

I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• Jon:

Federal Social Security (including disability) and workers compensation are two totally different entities. Granted, both are "knee deep" in fraud, but W/C claims (including disability) are funded by an insurance company. The money for those claims is derived from the premiums charged of the insured businesses. Consequently there is a much closer relationship between the payee and the payer. The more claims submitted then the higher the premiums must be to keep the system solvent. As a result, the insurance industry is much more concerned with fraud than is the federal government because it affects their bottom line.

Insurance companies operate for the same reason that any other business operates - for profit. Sadly, the government does not.

There are several variables impacting the rise in physical disability claims and determinations, but I suspect the primary factor is one of culture (entitlement, laziness, absence of demonstrated work ethic, etc.). I have found that the most effective action I can take to deter the fraud is peer pressure and communication with authority figures. Many of the adjudicating officials are either elected or appointed by elected officials.

Please don't misinterpret my statement. There are many on disability that need to be on disability and I totally support the system. It is the abuse of the system that is infuriating and that subsequently complicates the system, making it more difficult for those who truly are deserving of the assistance. It is comparable to the scrutiny of narcotic prescriptions for those who suffer from chronic pain as a result of the abuse of the use and prescription of those meds by others.

Jim Bryant
  • just posted the quote from the article. take it or leave it.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Jon:

You did not identify what was a quote therefore it appeared to be your opinion. No need to get sensitive. Or as you said, take it or leave it.

Jim Bryant