Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness in outer genital area and tingle in feet

Hi everyone,
I am 24 yea old female and I've been diagnosed with a herniated disk in L5 S1 on my left side back in 2010. Over the years I would say the back pain isn't as bad as it used to be but my left leg would feel tingles and occasionally I would feel tingles in my outer genitals, usually when I am sitting down. However, few days ago I was helping readjust my grandma in bed and I felt like I pulled something. Immediately i felt a tingle in my right outside genital and later on I started feeling tingles in my right foot. I am so scared that I developed symptoms in my right side as well, I have a doctors appt on Upcoming Tuesday but I haven't been able to calm down to the point that I've actually cried because of being so scared of potential nerve damage. Has anyone had there similar symptoms? Or can I get any advice?
Thank you so much!

• WTWWT Posts: 46
    edited 05/04/2014 - 12:37 AM
    i have had tingling issues , burning, numbness. all kind of what a sciatica can offer.
    also l5/s1 left side.after 8 Drs i visited, and all the researches i did.and the answers i had from Drs.
    a nerve damage can not just appear out of the blue. like people think. you would feel numbness and weakness for a certain period.and it gets weaker and more numb with time. then there will be a possibility for it.
    your case i hope there will be not.but you should visit your Dr. and get yourself checked. do not panic or stress.this improves your pain and makes ur placebo effect spread more.
    hope all will be good.
  • Thank you so much for your reply! I've been way calmer today. I think emotional support from others gave me hope again and very determined to heal this disk. I talked to a consulting nurse on the phone and they asked me to come in because of the fact that the tingle is now in the second leg but it looks like my legs are still very strong. I'm taking Tylenol now to make the main more manageable. I'm seeing my family doctor on Tuesday and I'm going to push for an MRI and a referral to a neurosurgeon to check on the nerves.
    What treatments have you undergone? And did your symptoms go away.
  • well, im glad you are feeling better. emotional support is needed in everyone's case.
    and what turns it worse is stress.
    as for my case. i've had most of the symptoms u mentioned.but.did too much researches. and gone for 8 doctors.
    as usual. its different here, most Drs ask for surgery because they want money,anyway.im avoiding surgery its been 4 weeks now.
    im RESTING. walking for 20 to 30minutes daily,and 1 hour of aqua therapy. in a pool. with some exercises .and backstrokes swimming. i can say i improved in 4 week, up to to 70%.my ankle pain has gone.my hamstring pain too.the only pain i still have is the main one in my buttock.left. and i guess its way bearable. and stiffness in my back.and muscles. but whats most important, this tingling that started before.have stopped.yes it comes less like one time every few days but not comparable and scary like before.im off painkillers already. cos i want to know if im improving or not.and pain is so bearable.and when i im laying on my back.sometimes pain subsides to ZERO.
    let me know if i can really help anyway.
    i'd be more than happy to. and do never lose hope.
  • a word of caution, if you are experiencing increasing /spreading numbness, or the MRI shows that you have canal or nerve compression, then all of the swimming and conservative care in the world will not fix that......and you can not heal the disc.....if the disc is herniated enough that it is causing compression, the only thing that will take care of that, is surgery....Conservative treatment is good in many cases, but in some, all of the conservative care in the world won't fix what is a mechanical issue and needs to be repaired.
  • I went to my primary doctor today. Just like the doctors in ER, he was not concerned about the numbness. And from everything I've said they're all focused on conservative treatments. However, I asked to be referred to a Neurosurgeon. I have my appt in 3 weeks. I kinda wish I could get in sooner. Today my lower back pain hasn't been too intense, I haven't taken any painkillers for it, I rested a lot and took walks in the park 3 times. The last walk made my right leg feel very tired though. Basically the doctors want me to stay active as much as possible, but it bugs me that they don't consider nerve compression. I've brought it up with every single doctor I've talked in the last few days and they all didn't think that it's the case. They also excused me to come back to work on Wednesday :/ I don't know how that's going to go.
    I can't wait till I get to see a neurosurgeon, I'm praying that my condition improves by then but I really want to get and MRI to see what's going on with my back. I think because I know about all the complications that are caused my a herniated disk I freak out waaaay too much over everything, but I think it's important to know what to look out for. So thank you sandi for your advice!
  • I can identify with the nerve root problems and the many doctors i have seen have been relectant to discuss any options. I'm a lttle older than you and have had problems for 6 years. MRI did not reveal the problem I thought I had, but i have the symptoms.

good luck