Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical cord contusion with nerve hypersensitivity - what is it??

Hi Everyone and Happy Spring,
I am trying to get all my medical/spinal records together for a visit with a new physiatrist on Wednesday. I have a lumbar problems, 2 failed surgeries ( one was a 360 fusion revision), radiculopathy in legs and C6/7 rad in left arm.

But, in 2007, I was lifting something very heavy, and developed terrible neck, arm pain and then it started even radiating down my R leg to my feet. The neurologist, I saw for a few years afterward, diagnosed a cord contusion and resultant nerve hypersensitivity to activity. He told me the nerves were extra sensitive to pain with activity. He put me on Topamax 100 mg bid. I also had a C6/7 radiculopathy from the injury. This injury was at C5/6 and fused itself within a couple of years, bone on bone, causing great pain while fusing. When it fused, it pushed C 4/5 into the cord causing cervical myelopathy, causing a progressive loss of walking, balance, etc. They finally did an emergency anterior fusion on C4/5 in 2010, as I was becoming paralyzed. My walking has immensely improved but, there are still residual effects. I use a cane outside, my right leg is weaker, my left arm is weaker, I have trouble on grassy surfaces, steps,,and the slightest incline throws me into baby steps. I am just happy to have back what I have.

The neurologist I was seeing has since retired due to his own spine problems and moved to another state. I am going over my history for the new doctor and I am wondering if the effects of a cord contusion are permanent? Has anyone ever been diagnosed with nerve hypersensitivity because of one? Did it go away? It's hard for me to say, because I have been on Topamax since 2007 and I do have so much chronic radiculopathy and lumbar issues that are causing me chronic pain.

Thanks for any insight you have to offer.
Mary Anne

Take care and God Bless,
Mary Anne

• They haven't attempted any cervical decompression on you. They waited too long to do mine. I could not walk fifty feet for 2 years. Finally,they had to do a fusion as an emergency.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • Have you regained the feeling in your arms? That must have been very scary for you. How are you with use of your arms. Before my surgery and for a few months afterward, I could not get a fork or spoon to my mouth. I am left handed and I tried to use my right. That was damaged also. My arms and hands would just shake.
    The surgery was an anterior fusion. I begged them to use.an allograft as I have bad osteopprosis. They did and it was very painless. My walking and arm strenhth improved in a couple of months. There are still some residual effects, like walking down inclines or grassy surfaces and balance problems. But, I am 100 times better.
    I hope you are, too.
    Take care,
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • I has the shaking for years, also. I had it after the surgery, while the nerves were healing. They gave me weighted feeding utensils, but they were a waste. I am good, not, except a little tremor in the left hand and a little weakness in the left arm.It is the right leg and balance that still give me trouble. Did they ever diagnose you with Cervical Myelopathy? .
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne