Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hi there,
L5/S1 disc herniation.been 35 days already.(chronic pain for 7 days,then started to subside)
trying to avoid surgery.doing aqua exercises. and swimming.
some days i feel ok, some other days i feel like im still the same and not improving.
anyone can please tell me which is better,
Aqua therapy., SWIMMING,and aqua exercises? or WALKING.
i just cant even know if i am improving or not. though the numbness and tingling is not present anymore.
i just feel muscle pain. in my buttock and my hamstring sometimes when i walk a bit.
pain subsides though when i m on my back.
please any recommendation would be appreciated.
Thank you.

• scionxsscionx Posts: 27
    edited 05/06/2014 - 3:25 AM
    I take magnesium to help with tight muscles and lower extremity stiffness. I can't swim so I can't attest to its value. Walking and staying moving helps and some core activating and leg activating exercises do too. I have three disc herniations in the lumbar spine and am almost six months out from the first of the injury. I didn't have initial numbness and tingling , mine came about 6-8 weeks after the injury. The tingling and numbers and shooting pains are almost daily now. I have had two ESI into my herniations and may be looking at surgery. Any questions feel free to ask I can tell my experiences.
  • I personally prefer walking. I always have the numbness and tingling, it never ever goes away for me.
  • You have acute pain, chronic pain is pain that continues for 3-6 months or more.........your pain is acute, less than 3-6 months.
    Since you are experiencing a reduction in pain, then the swimming is apparently helping, and the strengthening is helping.
    Did you go see a doctor or is what you are doing something that you decided to do on your own?
    I am happy that conservative treatment is helping you , and that you are seeing improvement.
  • WTWWT Posts: 46
    edited 05/06/2014 - 7:27 AM
    i have been checked by many Drs,(8Doctors so far) and all of them agreed about the swimming. but what's really confusing me, some Drs asked me to walk too. others preferred i spend few weeks on my back and just go 1 hour a day to swim.
    thats why when i have bad days, i wonder if i had to walk/rest. this is so confusing.
    and you know by this stage, the improvement is slow to a certain level that you can't recognize if i m improving or not. especially like i said. nomore numbness/tingling.
    Thank you all for your replies. and sorry for my language. english isnt my native language apparently.