Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy of L1-6 & S1, Dynamic Stabilization L2-5 done Apr.2...help?

Hi everyone,
I am at the one month mark after Laminectomy of L1-6 & S1, Dynamic Stabilization L2-5.
I am really struggling and I'm just so unsure of where I should be physically. I'm able to walk, but it's not easy and my balance sucks! So I mostly just walk up and down our hallway. I have a lot of nerve pain in my left leg and total numbness in my left foot. My surgeon said the stenosis I had was quite severe and my nerves were really pinched. I also had a small hole in my spinal cord from a bone frag. So the nerves can take a very long time to recover.
What I'm really wanting help with is just how much I should be physically able to do. My walking is so unnatural feeling with the numb foot and bad balance. I tried to do stairs yesterday and that was really bad as my balance again was bad and my strength is gone!
Any advice??
Laminectomy of L1-6,S1 and Dynamic Stabilization L2-5 done April 2nd,2014

• Graphicat.. I had an open Laminectomy and decompression last August.. Many of the same symptoms you describe are exactly what I am going through 8 months post op... I was progressing nicely after 4 months but have steadily regressed to a point even much worse than my preoperative condition.. My best advice to you is seek professional therapy (your neuro can order it).. Go slow.. and follow their advice to a tee.. In my case, subsequent MRI showed the "cause" of the stenosis had been corrected.. The radicular pain, weakness to the point of paralysis, sciatica, that I am suffering with now, is the result of the nerve damage already done prior to the surgery.. This is a long healing process and we have to face the possibility that it may not be 100%... I'm not trying to frighten you, but I am relating my own experience so far.. All one can do is stay positive, continue the fight to recover, and work closely with the professionals.. Best of luck.
  • GraphicatGGraphicat Posts: 7
    edited 05/08/2014 - 3:54 PM
    For your response and suggestions Carl. I had a particularly bad morning today. So you were basically in recovery for 4 months? I don't see my Neuro again till the 3 month mark (plus he is a three hour drive away), but I do see my family doctor tomorrow. I will see what she suggests. I AM being very careful to follow the SMALL amount of instruction they gave me...but it really was not much..and I'm someone who just craves all the information I can find! The OR staff when I had the surgery were quite surprised at just how much I knew about what was wrong and what they were about to do. So this lack of information is driving me insane! I'm constantly wondering, am I doing too much? Too little? .... I do need to find some new pain management as obviously what I'm doing now is not helping.
    Thanks again!
    Laminectomy of L1-6,S1 and Dynamic Stabilization L2-5 done April 2nd,2014