Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Old age

I have had back and hip pain for years. Got hurt several times working and when I was young could be the cause for the pain I suffer from now. I am age 67 and just plain cannot do what I once was able to do. If I sit down when working on something I have a hard time getting up.

I went to a doctor who was supposed to be the best. They did the X-ray and got same results I got from the local chiropractor , arthritis in my lower back. I thought it was my hip but the new doctor said it was my back. I told myself if this doctor give me Prednisone I was finished with him. Sure enough that's what he give along with Neurontin. I guess he wanted me to die a slow death :( I told him I could not take Celebrex when I first got in his office. All the Prednisone every done to me was make me wired to no end. It did take the pain away but only for a few days. Same results with steroid shots so they are all out for me.

I cannot take the Advil's and Aleve's as I had a bleeding ulcer years ago. If I take even a baby aspirin my stomach starts to burn in about an hour so all those are out. I took Celebrex years ago and got great results but after a few years of taking them I started having stomach pains. I tried to take one a few weeks ago and the terrible burning pain started soon after so they are out also.

I had an Endoscopy last year to check for damage and the doc said all looked good, he said for me to try Celebrex. I tried the samples he give me and an hour later the burning started. I take Percocet 7.5/325 now as they give me a few hours where I can get through the day.

Is the pain because of my age ? I remember once when I worked for myself about 28 years ago all of sudden could not work with my hands because of terrible pain. I could not even hold a hammer. I called a friend who was a pharmacist and he told me to take two Advil's every 6 hours for a couple of days and see if the pain went away. It did leave and I was able to continue my work. Never really understood why all of sudden I had this pain in my hands? never had it again thank goodness but the back and hip pain is real on most days.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    but age will cause various problems in our joints and spine. It just the natural way of getting older

Its difficult to comment any more because we really dont know what your underlying problem is. You talk about back problems. What have other diagnostic tests proven? MRI, CTScan, etc

If your stomach is also a problem when it comes to taking medication, there are medications that can be taken with other meds.

Age is only a number
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • fourputtffourputt Posts: 14
    edited 05/09/2014 - 2:15 PM
  • No, your back pain wouldn't be because of your age, but different things happening to your back over the years can lead to back pain & some of it comes just from getting older.

I cant take NSAIDS either, for the same reasons as you. Do you take any of the PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) medications, such as Prilosec, Nexium, Protonix to control acid & your ulcer condition? If you experience any nausea from acid, there are meds for that too, phenegren & zofran are 2 of those.

Why wont you go back for the MRI?? Are you afraid of the radiation (there is no radiation in the MRI like there is in a CT SCAN) or are you afraid the dr will say you need surgery?? I'm sorry, but you are wrong about dr's only wanting to cut on you & that noone is helped by "the knife". No reputable dr will operate on you simply to just cut you open. They will if they think they can fix the problem and if you get pain relief, then that is great. Surgery is not done just to relieve pain. I'm sorry about your friend, 8 surgeries is alot, but have you ever thought that w/o those 8 surgeries that he may be worse off than he is today?? Also, there are many people who "the knife" HAS helped, I am one of those people, I will spare you the details, and there are many many here who have been tremendously helped by having surgery. How do you ever expect to feel better, if you jump up and run out of your dr's office & are never willing to try ANYTHING your dr has to offer?? four
  • I apologize, I saw you were already taking Protonix after I posted my response. I see it hasn't worked for you, maybe you would benefit from trying one of the other PPI's, such as Prilosec or Nexium. Hope you feel better soon :-)
  • Surgery is really to stabilize the spine, not to get rid of the pain. I've had three spine surgeries because I have problems with my facet joints and stenosis which all led to shooting pains down my legs. That pain was worse than the pain I have after recovery. Although I have chronic pain, it would be far worse if I never had the surgeries.
    edited 05/09/2014 - 2:14 PM
  • if there are found out to be nerve issues like sciatica and you dont get them fixed, the damage will be worse and permanent. i had one fusion and eventhough i had surgery for sciatica the damage to my nerve was so bad that i ended up with permanent nerve damage. now i cant wear long pants or have pressure on my right leg. it is all messed up and i get cellilitus, it is swollen it hurts all of the time and i cant bend or twist it. this because the surgery was not sooner. also chiropractors are useless. never and i mean never use them. they will hurt you more than help. if there are bone and nerve issues, bending and twisting your back is the worse thing you can do. also they always say your back is out of alignment and only they can help. they have their place i guess but to me they are a scam. but that is only my opinion. if you think different, that is your business.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
    edited 05/09/2014 - 2:14 PM
  • Welcome and please stay because there so many great
    people here to help you. Sorry to hear you are in so much
    pain like so many here.
    Your post caught my attention because of the old factor I am 66.
    I currently am going through hell in pain that I never knew I had,
    I am on a Med Holiday became use to the meds so my Doc. and I
    are cutting back, they were not helping. I would do anything MRI any test
    that would take even a small amount of this away. I have had Cat Scans,
    several MRI's on and on. It is scary but living in pain which is worse and
    I get your concern with your friend, I too have friends who have not come
    out of surgery well but would I do it, it a heart beat.
    To be able to cook Sunday dinners, clean my house, smile, stop crying,
    see my Mom who cries cause I can't travel to see her on and on.
    Think about it don't you want a better life, we are at that age where I
    see the morning sun and think here is another day to get the most I can
    out of it. I don't know how long you have been in this pain but there are
    so many here that are young and raising families. I cannot imagine
    their strength mine started later at age 51 so I consider myself lucky.
    Just trying to help you I probably don't make sense please don't be angry
    with me, just know that even writing this is hard for me but I care.
    Give more information like Taren and Ron said so others can help you, just to have others is a
    blessing. I thought I knew so much but what I have learned here is amazing.
    Take care of yourself
    edited 05/09/2014 - 2:17 PM
  • I forgot to mention that my mother suffered from almost the same problems I now have. She only made it age 60 . She was in pain for most of the time I knew her. The later years hers were terrible. I am in much better health than she was, also I have already lived 7 years longer. I don't smoke and she was a heavy smoker. I see pictures of her now and she looked really old when she was only in her mid 50's. Did I get the gene? probably as her mother suffered with similar problems. I think all this has got to do with how we welcome each day. My mother was bad depressed most of her life. I have dealt with some depression but nothing like hers. Pain can make people depressed, that I already know. I look forward to the next day and want to live to see my grandchildren marry and have a family. Maybe I will make it. Thanks again for all the tips., Keep them coming oldman
  • If you take the time to read my post, #5, you will see that I apologized to you for not seeing you took protonix, before I posted., ;-)

Now, you say you have no interest in bleeding to death. Well, fyi, I don't know of anyone here that does have that interest. One of your excuses for not having a surgery is the fact that you are afraid you are going to bleed to death during it. Well, I can tell you, that like you, I have had bleeding ulcers. I did loose blood to the point of needing an 8 hour blood transfusion. However, I did not bleed "to death" I had a medical condition and they fixed it, I no longer have internal bleeding. Also, I had all the GI tests that you have had, colonoscopies, upper GI's (many) and ERCP's. I assume your bleeding ulcers were cauterized during your colonoscopy or an upper GI. Why do you think you may bleed to death during a surgery?

I'm still not seeing your logic here. You wont have an MRI to see if need surgery. Why? You need to have the tests your dr recommends, sit down and talk with him/her and let him/her tell you if you could be helped with an operation. You friends are not the ones to tell you whether or not it will help you. Many people here, including myself, have had spinal surgery & have greatly improved by having it done. You are correct, arthritis can not be cured, but you can put steps into place to improve the ways it affects you and your body.

If you wont do anything your dr wants you to do to improve your health, then I'm not sure what you want from us. It seems you shoot down every idea you are given. In the end it is your choice. I wish you luck with that choice, either way. But I can assure you that bleeding ulcers will not kill you if you get proper treatment. Your age, your friends and your mothers condition has nothing to do with the way you will respond to treatment. :-)
    edited 05/08/2014 - 4:45 PM
    Why do you think you may bleed to death during a surgery?
    I never mentioned anything about bleeding to death from a surgery. I said that some of these med's can cause a person with a history of ulcer disease to bleed and never know it until its to late. I think you are a little to quick to jump on someone. I am quite easy to get along with and live a laid back life. I worked for almost 50 years before I decided to retire. I should have never came here to begin with, I see that now. Have a good day
  • There is a cure for ulcers. i can't understand why so many people here complain about ulcers. I had them. I had them cured. An Australian Doctor gave himself ulcers then cured himself. He proved stomach ulcers are caused by bacteria - not anything else. He developed a medication that kills the bacteria. The treatment isn't much fun but it is a series of tablets. The treatment cured my ulcers straight away and they have never recurred.
  • All ulcers are not caused by the bacteria so you are wrong on that. Some of these med's can cause one to have an ulcer. I have had both and so far I am ulcer free. I don't want to get another so I stay away from medicine that can cause you to have an ulcer. Get your facts straight before you post something like this
    edited 05/08/2014 - 5:05 PM
    Peptic ulcers are more common in older adults who take these pain medications frequently or in people who take these medications for osteoarthritis so your post is wrong. I am an older adult and I did take lots of these pain meds in the past. No more for me. I have had both arthritis pain and stomach pain from taking advil. I will take the pain any day from arthritis over the stomach pain I get when I take one of these advil's or aleve. The arthritis pain is probably not going to kill me. Internal bleeding can most definitely kill you. My stomach is hurting now just from coming to this forum so I am out of here. I will stay on the sideline from now on.
  • I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for & I took the time to re-read all your posts.
    It sounds like you don't want an MRI unless you can be guaranteed before hand that something will show up.
    Even if something did show up you refuse to do surgery.
    You can't take NSAIDS
    You say yourself, in post #11, that you want us to continue giving you advice but you wont take it.

What about injections, if you have already had them, maybe you should give them another try.
    Have you had RFA (Radiofrequency Abilation) yet? Would you consider that for your arthritis?
    Physical therapy?
    Maybe you should talk to your dr, without running out, take a list of questions with you, write your concerns down and talk them over with your dr. Maybe you just need some reassurance from your dr that surgery will help you. Tell him about your 8 friends who have "went under the knife" & how concerned you are about this. Maybe he can ease your nerves on it. And remember, surgery is done to stabilize your spine to prevent further damage. You don't want further damage because your pain will get worse. Also, you can not judge any medical office simply because the staff is wearing T-shirts lol.

If you don't want any of this advice or anyone's advice, then I guess, you just need to use ice and heat when needed, continue to use your medicine ball when you can, hot soaks, muscle & arthritis rubs & I would definitely try physical therapy. Maybe when your pain gets worse you will want to see your dr--I would hate to see you get to the point where the pain is excruciating, when you could have taken care of the issue before, to avoid getting to the excruciating point, but that is up to you.

Maybe you need to have your Neurontin dosage adjusted, that may help. I saw you take Percocet, do you take a muscle relaxer with that? Perhaps, that would help. Too, If I were you, I would keep away from the chiropractor.

I cant take the NSAIDS either, for the same reasons as you-bleeding ulcers, but I work with my dr and we control my pain w/o the use of NSAIDS. I don't know what else to tell you. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the luck in the world.
    edited 05/09/2014 - 2:10 AM
    What about injections, if you have already had them, maybe you should give them another try.
    I have had way to many now. Runs my blood sugar off the chart and I am not yet diabetic. If I keep taking them then I will probably become full blown diabetic very soon so you see that's out. That's why I got mad when the doctor give me Prednisone pack. All this medicine does it make you feel great for about a week and then back to same old thing. It has terrible side effects also and the last time I took the pills I swore off on them. I just had a shot last week from the allergist I go to and it sent my blood sugar to 250 real quick. I am afraid one day it will not go back to normal so I hope you understand my take on this. The shots also just about quit working. I have had many over the years, probably to many.
    to me everything boils down to one factor.
    You dont really know for sure what your spinal problem is

Until you have the answer to that, you can be spinning your wheels on what you can do to help yourself. You may have nothing wrong with your back and you are just dealing with arthritis. That alone, can be painful , I know, I've had it for years and it ripped my joints apart.

But to find out for sure, you do need diagnostic tests such as the MRI. I dont understand why you seem so hesitate about getting one. You indicating that even if it came back with a problem, is surgery an option? You mention something about friends having surgery and never being 100%. But what if the MRI comes back negative and there is nothing wrong with your back, then what?

I think I would want to know, otherwise talking about something we dont know is difficult.
  • fourputt
    i have read your post a few times over and the more i read them the more confused i become. i have no idea what you want or what advice you need. it goes from ulcers to bleeding to death to mris to blood sugar. please let us know what you want or what advice you want instead of changing the subject all of the time. no offense but it is giving me a head ache. please once again what do you want from us and or the moderators? please be specific so we can help. and please stay on the subject.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • This is the research I did and am happy to be corrected.

Causes of stomach ulcers

A stomach ulcer can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
    Helicobacter pylori – bacteria is thought to be responsible for around 60 per cent of stomach ulcers and at least 90 per cent of duodenal ulcers.
    Certain medications – which include aspirin or clopidogrel, taken regularly to help prevent heart attack or stroke, and drugs for arthritis. Anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) are thought to cause around two fifths of stomach ulcers.
    Cancer – stomach cancer can present as an ulcer, particularly in older people.

Maybe I didn't help you but everyone else here has a wealth of experience.

Most people here are in intractable pain, just because I didn't and made a mistake which I am happy to have corrected doesn't mean you should be rude to other people who are trying to help.

I'm sure coming onto a spine site can't give you stomach pain - more like a headache for me as well. Correct me please if I am wrong. Pain is subjective as is maturity. I'm old enough to accept that I have made a mistake and need to do more research. Maybe you are old enough not to jump down peoples' throats who are posting in good faith and trying to help you, instead of saying you are leaving as you got information you disagreed with. What do you think your problem is exactly??

I am confused as well but don't worry I won't post again on this thread, not because I mind being corrected or because reading my post is causing you to get stomach aches, but because you are so rude to people who are trying to help and give you suggestions in good faith.

edited 05/09/2014 - 3:59 PM
    Now you will not get such a bad headache reading all my posts. I deleted a few so your head should get better soon ;) , I am not a rude person, maybe it looked that way but I am a very kind and helping person. I see now I should have never joined this site. ;( I take lots of time out of my life to help others who really need help. I also spend money on people and ask nothing in return. I make sure they really need help and then I assist people in need so your pick on me is 100% wrong. You people must be in some kind of pain because several seem on edge. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I mean well :) I also looked at some of the posts people make. Good grief, you people are on some serious pain medicine. I am planning on getting off all the pain meds. That's one good thing about me coming here. Heck, I am in good shape. Never knew it until I started reading here. Thanks for the tips anyway . We all have aches and pains from time to time. As we age we seem to have more. I will just learn to deal with it without using medicine. I learned that anyway from coming here.
  • I also do apologize to anyone I was rude to. I never knew what I posted was that bad but I guess it was. I hope I did not hurt anyone feeling to bad. Again I am sorry I was hateful. I hope all forgive me
  • My feelings are not hurt at all. I, as other, were only trying to help you. Honestly, though, it became clear that no one was sure what kind of help you were needing. Your needs were kind of all over the place. I don't feel anyone here was rude to you, but I do feel you are rude when you insinuated that just because we have chronic pain we are edgy.

Several people here took the time to read & respond to your post and try to give you sound advice. Don't you think that makes us helpful, as well?

I even found myself agreeing with you about the fact that there are different reasons that cause people to get ulcers. My ulcers were not cause by bacteria either, but rather by NSAIDS. I would like for you to stay, one disagreement is no reason to leave.

Maybe, you could figure out what it is you really want to ask us & we could start over? We will continue to try and help you. :-)
    that we will do for any member, especially when we dont understand the situation.
    If you stayed awhile if you use chose, you will find that so many people look to help other members and will extend themselves to doso.
    You have not hurt anyone here, we are here for each other. But the bottom line comes with how you feel You need to feel comfortable here, if you dont,that is your choice, if you feel comfortable, then, there is so much for you to learn that you have not seen yet
  • Thanks for all who helped. I am not gone just staying on the sideline for a while. I have other problems I got to get taken care of. When I do I will be back. Again thanks to all