Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Dangers of post double fusion lumbar surgery

peaceofmeppeaceofme Posts: 1
edited 05/07/2014 - 7:29 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi All,
I am a newbie here, but not a newbie to back problems. On March 27th 2014 I had fusions on L4 and L5 and then L5 to S1. I also had instrumental support with 2 rods and 6 screws.
What I am very afraid of is the amount of movement I have had to have since about 2 weeks out of surgery until present which is just 6 weeks out tomorrow.
One week after surgery, 3 of my grand children had to move in with me. They are 12, 8, and 5. I have had to bend many many times, just to care for these babies. It does not cause me pain when I bend, but the following day my pain might be worse.
What I am so scared of is that I am hurting my recovery.
If you do not have pain when you are doing whatever movement your doing is it ok? I really need some advice here.
Could someone give me advice.
PS. There is no other choice for me to have my grand children at this time, so having someone else care for them or me getting help is NOT a possibility.
Dawn Boyd

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • You should not be bending at all for at least 3 months. Didn't your doctor tell you no BLT (bending, lifting, twisting). I have grandchildren who spend a lot of time with me and they understood why Grandma couldn't do certain things. In fact, they were my little helpers and picked things up for me. Yes, even though it may not hurt, you may not fuse if you bend too much.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • You just can't pick them up. Long story but when I broke my back my mother came to look after me for a while. She wanted to mow the lawn and I asked her not to. Of course she did it anyway then called me to take the catcher off the mower as it was too heavy for her. So I did, twice. It was when I had just got out of hospital. I know it did further damage and it hurt like hell. I really paid for it and I think it is one reasons my spine healed in such a bad place and the pain never went away. I wasn't braced as that was not the practice at the time, now they brace injuries like mine.

You are going to have to tell the 12 and 8 year old children you can't lift and they have to help you. If you don't want the pain to go away ever keep doing everything like I did. Children are pretty good if you treat them like adults - tell them what is wrong and write out a list of what you can't do and tell them. They will help you - but they can't see your injury so probably don't understand the things you can't do. Children like helping, it gives them a sense of being wanted - talk to them like adults and please don't lift them any more if you don't want to end up in intractable pain for 8 years like me.
  • i sure hope ;you got a back brace and are wearing it. my doctor gave me specific directions what to and not what to do for up to a year. if you are not following the directions to the letter then you could be in trouble. i could not bend lift twist for up to a year and i had to wear my back brace for 6 months including work. if not then probably more pain and more surgeries because you need time for the fusion to heal. they use bone graphs to stabalize the metal in your back. this is the fact of life for a post surgery fusion patient. if not then all of that time energy pain and discomfort will be all for naught.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.