Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

denied social security disability AGAIN

Boy I've had a bad week. I applied for SSD about a year after my second fusion. I just didn't recover at all. I came out of my surgery with pain in my right hip ( my brace was not right) and sacrialliac joint pain. I also had chronic lower back pain. Although my employer was patient I was never able to return to work. I can no longer sit or stand for any period of time without severe pain. Any little thing triggers a flare up. There is no rhyme or reason. I'm sure many of you can relate. My doctor finally recommended I apply for SSD. I went through the super fun process and received denial after denial. After my hearing resulted in a denial my lawyer suggested applying again. I did. Denied again. The funny thing is that my employer had disability insurance and they just reviewed my case and determined that I'm too disabled to do any job. I'm tired. Anyone have advice? Or have an experience that they can share with me?
Fall in 2007- broken spine. Spinal fusion T10-L1. 2nd fusion L4-S1.failed back syndrome

• Wow that is ridiculous.. I was thinking of applying for disability as well but if you can't get it after a failed back surgery I don't think theres a chance in hell I could get it being technically undiagnosed.. Sorry to hear, hope someone can help you out.
  • There is really no rhyme or reason when it comes to get disability from SS. They many times are looking for key words. I know for myself I was denied (which is norm unless you are in coma or something like that) and went to the hearing but I got it. One thing you need to do is make sure all of your records are in the file. If you can get your doctor to put into the records that your injury is permanent and is severe enough that you will not be able to work again that would be a hugh help. One thing that help me is that I was also going though the VA system for unemployability . When I got my VA disability my SS claim was approved a few weeks later. Now that your employer disability insurance has determined you are to disable to do any work that maybe just the extra piece needed for you to get it. With SS it try, try and try again.
  • It is possible to get SSDI with failed back surgery. I applied in July of 2012 and was approved within 6 months. So you just have to keep trying.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I'll never understand how my little sister got her SS disability on the first try with no lawyer. She's had back issues for a long time, but no surgery, just injections and PT. She was a home Heath care worker and couldn't assist patients getting out of bed and showering.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • I've thought about applying. I can't hardly work and when I do I'm in so much pain. Guess it's a combo of pride and knowing I wouldn't get much. I haven't paid in much SS or anything like that. My surgeon back 6 years ago told me if I filed I'd get it and did the pain management doctor I had. Keep thinking I'll get better but honestly I've gotten worse
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 05/12/2014 - 4:07 AM

I don't know if you would qualify now either, but if you go to the SS website, and follow the links for disability, you should be able to find out if you would, and how much you would recieve if you meet the requirements.
  • PinkellaPPinkella Posts: 211
    edited 05/12/2014 - 11:50 AM
    blimey that's awful that you cant get disability allowance :-/ is that in America?
    They are clamping down on giving out disability allowance in the UK ,if you can wash and dress yourself you can only get the lowest rate of £30 per week and thats if your lucky! If you cant stand, they state that you should do a sitting down job, if only for two hours a day.
    Our new Government are "AWFUL" so many people have had their disability took off them to save on government funds!

Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.