Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Spine Surgery - Which is the right surgery

was having mild neck pain, maigraine and burning sensation at the back of my neck . My neurologist suggested me to go for physical therapy which helped to some extn and after few months the symptoms came back with additional symptoms like shoulder pain and some kind of dizziness/balance issue as soon as I get up from the bed.

This time My neurologist ordered for an MRI and both of us were shocked to see the MRI results. My Neurologist told me that I have some extra bone/ligament growth between C1 and C2 and its pressing my spinal cord and I have see the surgeon immediately. Looks like i was born with this defect and its causing issue now

I have visited 3 surgeons. All the surgeons told me that their neurological test didn't reveal any issues and my symptoms are very mild for the issue i have.. The bone is exactly pressing the spinal cord between C1 and C2.. If I don't do the surgery I am at high risk of paralyzed. So better to go for the surgery ASAP. If I delay for years, my symptoms will be bad and at that point if i do the surgery it will not help to recover from the symptoms. it will help to prevent further damage. But the type of surgery suggested by them is different

Surgeon 1: Laminotomy with fusion between c1- c2 and apart from this, he is suggesting to go for fusion between c3 to c5 as he sees some mild canal narrowing there which might progress further and I might require a surgery in future. it could be in 5 years or 20 yrs or 30 yrs. So instead of doing one more surgery in future , he is suggesting to go for one now itself. If I do this I will loose 50 % motion. He is saying fusion is needed to give more stability.

Surgeon 2: Only Laminotomy between c1-c2 and laminectomy between C3-C5 and no fusion

Surgeon 3: Only Laminotomy between c1- c2 . No fusion at all.

I am confused whom to go with . I am not sure which one is the right surgery for me. Can some one guide. I am from St.louis. If you know any good doctor who is expert in performing this kind of surgery can you pls let me know