Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

21 y/o male, sitting issue? (first post)

icantsitiicantsit Posts: 1
edited 05/11/2014 - 5:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm a college student, 5'7", 155 lbs, in pretty good shape. I'm in a martial arts club, so I can run and do kicks and rolls with no pain or mobility problems. Last summer (2013) I was sitting at a computer for long hours each day, and since then I've developed some kind of problem where I can't sit down normally without feeling pain/discomfort. It wasn't bad at first, but over months now it seems like any kind of pressure on the tailbone area (the bony region right where my back and butt meet) will aggravate it - even lying down flat on my back with legs straight out. After sitting normally for a minute or so, I feel the need to stand up, stretch, and put something back into place. It isn't a "painful" or sharp sensation that I get from doing any particular movement, but more of a discomfort that gradually gets worse the longer I sit. I can pop /something/ in the bony area right at the top of my butt, which provides some relief, but I don't know if I should be doing this. I don't have any kind of throbbing pain, or anything radiating down either leg.

I've found ways around it for sitting in class. Putting my weight on my elbows on the chair/desk takes some of the pressure off the area. Sitting cross legged or with one leg externally rotated makes it not as bad. I also got a wedge cushion with the tailbone section cutout that helps somewhat, but not completely. I got a standing xray done, but they mostly focused on the lumbar region, and they said it doesn't look like there are any problems, but I do have a 'lumbosacral transitional vertebra'. Doctor says it could be a disc issue, but to me it really feels like the problem is in the tailbone region, but I could be wrong.

Any idea what the problem is? This summer I've got another job at a computer, and I'm studying abroad in the fall, so I'd really like to take care of this soon - I'm too young for this!

Thanks in advance for any info.