Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Annular tears

What symptoms can they cause in the thoracic spine area? Can it cause nerve pain that shoots through the chest?

• Thanks for the reply. I have a bulging disc at T5 and the tears are at T5-T6 and T6-T7. I also have arthritis from T5-T9. I was told the pain could radiate around the ribs to the front of the chest wall. I just wasn't sure if the tears themselves would cause it. All of my pain is located on the left. Is yours also onesided?
  • Yes, it was found with a MRI of the thoracic spine. I had been having left sided shoulder pain for months and had seen a chiropractor for months. I never thought the spine itself was messed up.

Do you ever have feelings of electricity, so to speak? I don't know how else to explain the feeling but it's always in the back and chest in the same area and it feels like nerves I guess? Once I take something for pain, I'm left with this electrifying feeling that just radiates all over and I think my panic attacks are spawning from it. I also suffer from esophageal spasms that I was told wasn't related to what is going on in my back. So, no idea why that happens, but it does it on a daily basis.
  • PinkellaPPinkella Posts: 211
    edited 05/12/2014 - 12:43 PM
    I know my problems are a different part of the spine but I also have a couple of annular tears in my discs in L4,L5.
    I have stabbing knife pain one sided and electric type shocks that radiate deep into my right side of my back and down into my buttocks and round into my groin..but whether this is the osteoarthritis or discs causing these shocks is uncertain.
    My surgeon said the electric type pain is caused by inflamed nerves.
    I started gabapentin few weeks ago and it has stop all the electric shock type pain already :)
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • Who prescribed it, if you don't mind me asking? I'm on pain medicine now but I'm still left with the electric feeling that goes from my back into my chest right where T5-T6 is. It's a very uncomfortable feeling and I know it has fired off many panic attacks. Did your electrical pains seem to last all day pretty much?
  • Also, what kind of med is that exactly? I see the spinal dr Friday and I'll mention this, but I think the other doc will have to prescribe it for me. I may get my spinal dr's opinion and see if he thinks I need something like that.
    I'm not exactly sure what it even is lol. I just know I want the feelings to stop. Dulling the pain obviously isn't enough.
    edited 05/12/2014 - 1:14 PM
    My spinal consultant prescribed it a couple of weeks back. Its for Neuropathic pain.Its also used for epilepsy in high doses.It works by stabilising electrical activity in the brain.It is thought to work by binding to calcium channels found on nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.
    there is a newer one called Pregabalin but im unable to take it, as it can react with another med im on.
    Gabapentin has been the best med ive tried so far....co codamol made me feel spaced out and did little for the pain. Naproxen gave me severe acid reflux and also did little for the pain. Morphine worked well on the pain but this wasn't a drug I wanted to take daily as I experienced many side effects.
    I fully understand about the panic attacks/Anxiety-the pain can get you that way, especially when you have a severe flare up!
    I ended up in hospital for a week on morphine and pethidine injections and I spent most of the week spaced out unable to mobilise with the severe pain I had, I was petrified.;(Awful experience.
    Ive been getting anxiety about the pain to, I think a lot of people do.So your not alone.
    Im in the UK, so im not sure what the procedure is to get the type of med im on if you live outside the UK??
    If your in the UK you can most likely get this med from your GP doc.

• Hi Jennie, those are the generic names of the drugs Neurontin and Lyrica. The Pain Clinic should be able to give you one of those, they are very similar drugs. Hope that helps, Joe
  • Thanks for the replies! I'll ask about it then. I feel the electrical feeling mostly only on the left side in the back and front. The pain is always right under the heart, around the stomach. I've had 2 scopes done and my esophagus and stomach are fine except for the spasms of the esophagus I have. Can these spasms in any way be related to the issues in my back if it is nerves that is causing the electrical feeling?
  • Jennie726JJennie726 Posts: 16
    edited 05/13/2014 - 7:20 AM
    Oh, and also, on my MRI results it says "mild anterior end plate spurring". What exactly does this mean?
  • I tried googling that term but not a lot came up. Forgive me for asking I guess. I know my spinal dr will explain it all, just was curious if anyone had heard it, that's all. I'm trying to educate myself here, which is why I joined here. Google some things is easier than others. I figured someone else on this forum would have had an MRI with the same terms.
  • From what I understood, yes that's correct. The MRI report just doesn't say where it is located which is odd. My guess is the same areas as the bulging disc. We're not gifted with the best doctors where I live and the best ones are nearly 2 hours from me, which is why I'm taking the images to my spinal dr to have him explain every detail lol.

There's not a lot on google as far as symptoms goes, for tears, bulges and such. I love hearing others' that way I kinda know I'm not alone. Seems like there's so many symptoms and I just sit here and wonder if it really can be connected to just that area in my back. It's crazy that it can disrupt someone's life so much.
    edited 05/14/2014 - 12:15 PM
    I totally agree! its good to hear other people experiences on here...Its not just about googling a condition, its about having the support from a site like this where people share their stories'and support to one another...
    Unfortunately the back can drastically affect everything you do,but there are many good treatments out there, it will be a matter of trial and error until you find something that helps.I think finding a good spinal surgeon is the first thing!then he can guide you as to what treatments he thinks you will benefit from.
    The term spurring usually has something to do with bone spurs.

• Thanks, Helen. I see my spinal dr tomorrow and I'm hoping he can actually tell me how big the tears are. My regular doctor comes off as thinking I shouldn't even be in pain from that. I don't see why someone wouldn't be in pain from all of that. I have so much going on in that region. I'm hoping after I talk to him I'll know more about the tears and spur etc. Then I'll just talk with the pain clinic next week.
    edited 05/15/2014 - 1:36 PM
    That's good news that your seeing your surgeon tomorrow :)
    If you have bone spurs then im wondering whether you have facet hypertrophy?
    Osteoarthrits in the facet joints causes it- I have it ,these are questions you can ask your surgeon tomorrow, write a list of the things you want to ask him that way you wont forget anything ;) and if you do have any problems with the spinal joints try and get a CT scan. They give a clear view of the joints.
    My surgeon believes annular tears can cause pain,but in my case they are not the pain generator,mine is my facet joints.
    Your pain generator could be your arthritis not your discs, your doctor will hopefully find your pain generator for you.
    good luck tomorrow :)
  • Thank you, Helen!!

See, I've been put on something for pain and while it seems to help a lot of the pain,
    I'm still left with that electrical feeling that radiates from right where the ribs meet in the front. It feels like a constant buzzing honestly and it drives me insane.

And if I'm not mistaken, after looking at my MRI images on my disc, the disc in bulging inward, not outward towards the spine which is odd. I'm getting my list of questions together for him tonight and hopefully
    I'll walk away with answers. I'm really wondering how big the tears actually are. Guess we'll see!
  • anelsen15 said:
    Their is many drs who dont think tears cause pain even though their is mulitple articles online where fusion of tear stopped all pain or my own injection targeting tear helped where nothing previously did. Drs who do not believe they can cause pain are flat wrong, now for each individual if its whats causing the pain is another question.
    Very true! I'm curious if he can do another injection without the steroid. I know there is others they can do without them so I'll ask about this tomorrow after he looks over all the images. Thanks!