Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion

H i'm new to the forums :)
I hope im not posting this in the wrong place? i apologise if I am.

Has anyone had a successful lumbar spinal fusion for spinal osteoarthritis in the facet joints? to relieve back pain?
I d be interested to hear your stories.
Im absolutely petrified of the risks involved, how have you overcome your fears?
Im on gabapentin at the moment my last resort for pain relief as I have tried everything else..
The gabapentin has started to work but if it stops working, or doesn't give me enough pain relief, I fear I will have to consider surgery if I want any quality of life and to be able to return to work.This really scares me as ive been told by the consultant that theres a 1-200 chance of paralysis!I feel this is an awful risk to take, even though my surgeon has never paralysed anyone I could be that first one!

Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.

• For me helen, I had tried everything for 12 months and nothing was relieving my pain, so that determined my factor in having surgery in January, 14th 2014 I simply could not stand the pain anymore.and I had run out of options, I had a fusion in the s1l5. I was so scared like everyone else here,no one wants to have spinal surgery. But it comes to a point ,live like I am or take the risk. So I did, I am 4 months post op now, it hasn't been easy nerve pain was still there so was the sciatica, and numb toe, but I feel I have finally turned the corner. Everything pain wise is getting less. I can now see the light, prior to my surgery I felt my life was hold till I got better, but unfortunately. For me I wasn't improving at all. a lot of people, do, I did my homework first. So all I do now is walk walk walk, my surgeon said no pt jen just walk ,so I do. I have turned into forest Gump literally, so for me I am happy I had the fusion,I have a long way to go. best regards Helen .off for a walk again lol

Tlif L5S1 fusion on the 14th Jan 2014
  • The pain is so debilitating so I can fully understand why you chose to have the op!
    Walking puts me in so much pain, and standing static is evil! I seem to be getting worse as each week goes by...
    The last 15months have been awful ..
    Thanks for your experience on the op much appreciated
    Keep up the walking. ;) ha x
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.