Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain L5/S1

CryAshCCryAsh Posts: 4
edited 05/12/2014 - 6:32 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi I'm 48 year old female have been in pain for 2/14 .
Had a MRI done PT still in pain.
Med I hate taking them but my life has been pulled form me I have alway been a over activity person.
There is moderate bilateral arthropathy and bulge dice 5of them.
My left leg and but and back has been hurting for a long time .
I was told just old. But only 48 !!!!! But this old women don't like the pain .
I like to ride motorcycle fish work yard work but I can't do this anymore .

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 05/12/2014 - 5:58 AM
    There is nobody on the forum qualified to interpret or advise on an MRI this is something you need to discuss with your doctor.

5.13 You agree not to ask for any analysis or interpretation of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.),

5.14 You agree not to respond to any request for analysis of diagnostic tests (ie MRI, CTScans, EMG, etc.)

Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started here

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Have you been seen by a surgeon to discuss treatment options?
    What has he suggested for treatment? Physical therapy is just one small part of the steps to getting treatment for Chronic Pain......

• martinJmartinJ Posts: 1
    edited 05/13/2014 - 5:39 AM
    5 months back I had met with an car accident. As in i didn't had any severe injuries but after few months i realize a sudden back-pain due to this pain I am unable to do much physical work.
    LINK REMOVED- Post edited by Sandi

5.04 You agree not to submit or post advertisements or commercial solicitations to forums on Spine-health.com.
    5.05 You agree not to engage in any solicitation either on the Spine-health.com forums or via email to Spine-health.com viewers.
  • AB4968AAB4968 Posts: 2
    edited 05/13/2014 - 2:19 AM
    Im 34 year old male, I am a police officer and back in December 2013 I herniated my L5S1 fighting with a suicidal subject. My symptoms came on fast but was past over as a strained low back. MRI showed herniation going into middle of spinal cord. I have had non stop back pain, leg pain, leg weakness, dull sharp etc in the rt leg since onset. I was given oral steroids for a week but they didn't work, had epidural and it relieved the leg pain for about 4-5 days and then it came back. I get the pain even into my groin. I did 4 weeks of PT after epidural but still have leg pain, weakness, and hurts to sit and cant bend over well or touch chin to my chest or raise legs above waist without pain. My dr wants to do surgery but W/C sending me to IME before they approve surgery..... have I done the best course of treatment?? im ready for surgery this pain/pressure on back is getting really old. just worried W/C going to drag this out
    Andrew C Brashear
  • CryAshCCryAsh Posts: 4
    edited 05/14/2014 - 3:27 PM
    this started with a hug form my grandchild . The leg pain has been going on for about 2 years but i didn't know that had anything to do with the back .
    the but start 2/23/14 with the hug i just said my hip is hurt bad don't know. any of this was together .
  • CryAshCCryAsh Posts: 4
    edited 05/14/2014 - 3:08 PM
    i was told its no need for surgery 3 mouth of this but and leg is bad feet swells up as big as my head yes he told me go to a pian med clilic.12 pt treatments just don't know what to do . i want to work but it no why i can like this i can't make it with out pain meds. my dr is sending me to a neurology hopefully they will help me . the next step.
  • finding :five lumbar- type vertebra are present
    alignment of the lumbar spine is anatomic. the lumbar vertebrae normal in height and intrinsic bone marrow signal
    there is disc space narrowing disc desiccation at L3-4 and L5-S1 . Marginal osteophytes are present in the lumbar spine.
    conus medullar is ends at L1 and is of normal configuration and signal intensity.
    On the sagittal sections, there is a mild osteophyte complex at t11-12 with a possible small right paracentral disc protrusion.
    T12-L1, L1-2 intervertebral discs ar normal. neural foramina ar patent .
    L2-3: there is a mild disc bulge that is asymmetric to the left that with a possible small far left lateral disc protrusion mildly narrow the inferior neural foramina bilaterally , greater on the left. mild bilateral facet arthropthy and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy is present without foramina stenosis.
    L3-4 there is a mild disc bulge that mildly narrows the inferior neural foramina bilaterally. mild bilateral facet arthropathy and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy is present which narrows the posterolateral thecal sac.
    L4-5 the intervertebral disc is normal. there is moderate bilateral facet arthropathy.
    L5-S1 there is a minor posterior disc bulge and mild bilateral facet arthropathy.
    impression:mild disc bulges L2-3 and L3-4
    mild disc space narrowing and minor posterior disc bulge L5-S1
    had 12 treatments of PT plus at home did no good
    been on prednisone for 3 mouths .
    no need for surgery.
    Im so depressed about this i just don't know anymore my husband sold My 2013 Harley street glide today it hurt me .
    and not being able to do anything work i love my job. i love digging in the dirt plant flowers,yard work ,house work riding my bike, fishing, building house, I fill like I'm in jail in my on home can't do nothing its so hard for me not to try so i try and then i cry after i do .
    The pain is so bad .
    I fill that i need maybe a another MRI are something that will help them find what going on here with me .
    it has to be more than they have seen my leg on the left side is so big and my hip or but hurts can't sleep but 1 to1 1/2 hour at
    night can't stay in the bed .

• dfhughes57ddfhughes57 Posts: 32
    edited 05/26/2014 - 7:24 AM
    Hi CryAsh
    I feel your pain well not so much pain but the psychological effect this has on you, I purchased a new 2013 Street Glide, about a month later I had a minor accident, but due to a pre existing condition slipped disc at L5-S1 I fractured my L1 to L4 vertebrae, all I could do for about a year was look at my bike wondering if I would ever be able to ride it again, in addition I scuba dive and was very active before my back damage. Anyway to cut a long story short after suffering with the L5-S1 herniation and the fractured vertebrae for a total of almost 3 years I am back riding in fact I just came back from a 4 hour ride, I also managed 12 dives when I was in San Andres Island, Columbia. I must caution I still have pain but it is manageable and nowhere near the severity when I first started having problems, don't let the pain get the better of you try to find a good pain management Doc and don't waste time wondering if you will ever be the same again because in all honesty you wont, but there is no reason you cannot do many of the things you did before your back problems never give up hope it just takes time to figure out. By the way I am a 56 year old male so you are by no means old if a doctor blames your injury or your less than stellar recovery on your age find another doctor I had this excuse used by my Surgeon EDITED

Post edited by Sandi- the use of foul, obscene or vulgar language is NOT permitted on Spine Health.