Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help forget pain

I hear that therapy can help a person think about something other than pain, but, because my pain is not diagnosed and, possibly from nerve damage, I have such pain that talking to someone about it isn't an easy feat.
Also, how do I explain my ups and downs to family. I'm secluding myself because I snapped at my grandson for the first time since pain began - and that is not me and I refuse to put him in a position where it might happen again.
This is beyond my control. Any thoughts.

• Does your family currently know that you're suffering from chronic pain? If not,have you ever thought about telling them? I understand what you mean when you say that this is beyond your control. Pain can make us feel helpless, hopeless and more isolated than you ever thought was possible. If your grandson is old enough have you ever thought of explain the situation to him? Even people without chronic pain Snap at people from time to time.
    You've already made a huge step and talking to someone about your pain by joining this website. Were you thinking about seeing a counselor or therapist? I began seeing a therapist again in hopes of it helping me deal with the pain... I don't think it has helped yet but I have only been two times! When describing the chronic pain to my therapist I become very emotional, which used to be very unlike me. My therapist is not pain psychologist, but that's also another option is available. I have never seen a pain psychologist so I can't recommend or tell you what the appointment would be like. Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • This was almost two years ago. Chronic Pain was my diagnosis; finally, Aug 10 I had abdominal reconstruction with mesh removal and mesh removed from rectum; scraped from bladder. I couldn't get away from chronic pain label.  The removal of mesh, unfortunately, tacks weren't looked for even tho he felt sacral promontory and not there. Xray shows them now so MRI soon and hopefully what has had me bedridden, unable to plan, will be removed.  Can this area cause foot swelling (sacrum/tailbon)
  • Thank you for responding.  It's been a long 6 years because nobody knows about mesh complications. Now, tacks remaining seems I will be free of pain once removed. The removal of mesh in rectum must have disturbed something because I cannot get comfortable and now my rt foot tingle.  How are you?