Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the site and frustrated

Hello, My name is Lindsay and I'm 27. I work in the education field and I've been dealing with sciatica issues since I was 15 and more recently other issues with what I've all along thought was my back.

In December I went to my doctor complaining about back pain. We were having issues with a mattress and my back slowly started to get worse, then one day I woke up and BAM it was the most painful thing I'd ever experienced in my life. I was miserable and since it was a weekend there wasn't anything I could really do. I had what I thought was appendix pain at the same time too, and debated going to the ER, but icy hot and a hot shower seemed to provide relief. So that Monday I made an appointment with my doctor who did an exam and then told me I just needed to stretch. I told her that I felt like by back was spasming and I couldn't get it calmed down and she repeated to just stretch. So I went home and did stretching, then the next day called a chiropractor. He got me in right away and after 6 sessions I was feeling GREAT! Then that 7th session everything went haywire!

I ended up switching from an MD to a DO and she right away told me that what I thought was appendix pain was likely an ovarian cyst and sent me for a ultrasound, which showed nothing, she then talked that I needed to get cancer and all of that ruled out and sent me for a CAT scan, urinalysis and blood work... The cat scan did show cysts, and because of the back pain she told me I Have to have endo and sent me to an OBGYN who did a laproscopic surgery and discovered that there wasn't endo, and that my ovary looked fine...

2 weeks later I was still having this pain so at the advice of the OBGYN I went to the ER to be checked for kidney stones (although my pain was primarily on my right side at this point like in my back rib cage) The X-rays showed nothing and after sitting and talking with the ER dr for about 5 min he came over and pressed a spot on my back and I about flew off the table. He told me he thinks all my problems are a pinched nerve or disk issue. He wrote me for a muscle relaxer and told me he was recommending PT and then after so much PT doctors usually write for an MRI if there is still pain.

So, I go to my dr and she tells me that PT won't help- but wrote for it since that's the recommendation of the ER Dr. And then told me she'd see me in three weeks to discuss the possibility of an MRI... Three weeks come and go, Pt has helped quite a bit, but I'm miserable without a muscle relaxer. I go in and she REFUSES to write and MRI because she still thinks that the issue is in my ovary.

I'm in the process of switching dr's and I'm just at a complete loss! Why would a doctor be so set on one issue that they wouldn't look any place else?? And why did I have surgery before anyone would even consider my back?! Sorry I don't know what I'm expecting in posting this, other than just to get it all out there...

I miss having a life, being able to do things, going to work without feeling like I wanted to cry from the pain... I love PT, but I feel like it's only getting me so far!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • If it were me, I would definitely be getting another dr. This dr sounds like she has a Dr. House complex if she is stuck on one diagnosis, which proved to be unfounded, and wont even consider the fact that it could be your back causing your pain. I would already have been out the door, back home, googling dr.'s, reading reviews & making a call to set up an appt. with a new physician.

• and start with a new primary doctor.......and then if your insurance requires a referral , ask to be referred to a board certified spine surgeon.......Being referred to a surgeon does not mean that you automatically need surgery, but they are in the best position to help you figure out if the issue is in your spine and where it is located if it is.
    They can refer you to physical therapy, or to a pain management doctor for further treatment options.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    Especially when it appears that you are being shuffled among doctors. If the X-Ray and other diagnostic tests suggest a disc related problem, then that is the path that they should be following.
    I agree with the other posters, at this point, I would look to find another doctor. If anything, for them to evaluate you and identify the problem.
    I dont want to downplay anything that your OBGYN indicates, but when something is noted as being a potential disc related problem, that needs to be followed up on. A pinched nerve can cause alot of pain, especially when you are moving. That may be why the muscle relaxer has helped.

PT could be helping when it comes to a pinched nerve, but still you want to understand what the root problem is. IF it is a pinched nerve, fine , then you know how to handle it, IF its a disc problem, then you want to see the appropriate doctor

Sandi's step by step thread dealing with chronic pain is very helpful in guiding you through all of this. So much can get very confusing and some doctors throw out words/terms that you may not understand. That is just one of the things we can hope to help you with. We can not provide medical advice, but we can help you in many ways.

If anything, with us at Spine-Health you will never be alone.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com