Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

It's official.

Ive seen my rheumy today, and the diagnosis is in. I officially have Ankylosing Spondilitis. It's been one of the roughest days of my life. Im happy that I have a diagnosis but im at the lowest of all of my lows at the fact that I will never get better, and that I have a chronic scary disease at 25. My rheumy said my MRI showed that the progression of the disease so far is moderate to severe so Im a bit scared. Ill be starting the drug Enbrel soon as long as my insurance approves it, (im terrified that Ill be injecting myself in the stomach weekly :( ) has anyone had any experiences with this med? Im terrified of it because its an immuno-suppressent. Any info on AS or Enbrel would be greatly appreciated. THAAAANK you!
(12.24.13) L2-L3 Laminectomy, Discectomy and Coflex insertion. DX'ed with Ankylosing Spondylitis on 5/13/14

• Thanks anelsen, so do I. I can just be glad we found it when we did and its not any worse than it already is.
    (12.24.13) L2-L3 Laminectomy, Discectomy and Coflex insertion. DX'ed with Ankylosing Spondylitis on 5/13/14
  • Jesse, I'm sorry to hear this but as you say, now that they have figured it out they can figure out a treatment plan for ya & hopefully, soon, get you to feeling better. I feel bad for all the pain that you must be in with this. I can't really give you much advice on how to handle this, but I can tell you that giving yourself a shot in your stomach is nothing, I do it several times a day with insulin, as well as in my thighs and arms. To make it easier for you to do at first, you can pinch up a chunk of skin & inject, you wont feel it this way. Pretty soon though you will just be able to inject w/o pinching skin, it won't phase you :-) Also, the needles have very fine tips on them which makes it almost painless to inject. You dr's or nurses will show you what I mean by how to do it to make it painless until you are use to doing it. One day at a time, One hour at a time, One minute at a time and if necessary, One second at a time :-)
  • Thanks Taren, its just so much to take in today, and soo many emotions as well. closure & being terrified at the same time. I have nooo idea what to expect with this disease, I had never heard of it until my dr mentioned it a month ago..I guess ill learn soon enough..
  • Think of it this way new treatments are always been developed for different diseases...and even cures
    So try and stay positive, easier said than do I know, but least its treatable and hopefully you will feel a lot better soon once treatment is underway.:)
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.