Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vitamins?

At my massage therapy appointment today my therapist asked if I'm taking calcium and magnesium, to which I said no. When I've taken any type of vitamins in the past it has turned out to cause some bowel issues. So, I was wondering others experiences with taking vitamins. Did it help any with the pain? Also, did it interact with your meds? I'm on six or seven meds, so I will add vitamins to my med list on WebMD and see if any interactions come up.
2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
advertisement

Comments

• my belief is that if you eat what you are supposed to and all of the food groups, you will not need vitamins. too many of some like the d vitamins and some of the bs can harm you especially d. i have never been a proponent of mega doses of vitamins. if you eat the way you are supposed to , you dont need them at all. they are for suppliments not for regular doses. in my opinion mega doses of vitamins s the biggest scam going. eat the way you are supposed to and you do not need them at all.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Have you found any vitamins that help your pain?
  • my father in law has spent thousands of dollars on vitamins and nothing has helped him. he thinks that if he takes his longevity vitamins, he will live to be a hundred. maybe or maybe not, but i believe it has to do more with genetics than vitamins. all of that money spent. he must take about 10 pills every morning with breakfast. he still gets sick and still gets old
    he used to sell them but now he has hundreds of dollars of vitamins in his closet unsold. he cant get anyone to buy them.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • paininohioppaininohio Posts: 240
    edited 05/14/2014 - 7:25 AM
    I have ALWAYS had issues with taking multivitamins, but If i take vitamins separately (for ex: a pill for b-complex, different pill for c, different pill for D, etc.), and at different times, it tends to cut way down on the tummy troubles. As for helping with pain, not really, but I figure it can't hurt.
  • I took glucosamine & condroitin for years. I didn't feel any change at all. Then I'd forget to take them. Then I read a doctors site that said they are about the same as placebo so I stopped spending the money. Doctors used to recommend taking them.

I take Magnesium & if I forget to take that for a while I do seem to have a little more nerve pain. I recently read an article that was really interesting. It stated that most Americans don't get enough & it's so important for so many things, pain, fatigue, restlessness, heart etc. I will continue to take it.

I take a 1 a day women's, B Complex, omega Q10 (or whatever it's called) & fish oil when I remember to. I'm going to decide if I'm going to continue with them as I run out.

I try to eat a very good varied diet. Recently I discovered that my potassium was dangerously low. They filled me up in ER & I made sure I as eating lots of green leafy things & bananas but 4 days later it was still down. I had to have IV potassium before they could start surgery. It's not something you should take suppliments for because high levels are just as dangerous. They're going to investigate why this is happening...

Has anyone else had this problem?

A lot of nutrients are stripped out of foods in processing. I don't see any harm in having a little top-up of a few of the important ones for me. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • calcium and magnesium because mine were all dangerously low.......and according to my internist, there is some correlation with chronic pain and low vitamin levels. The vitamin D and calcium are because of the osteopenia that I have already......
  • I take a fish oil supplement as I do find it helps with the arthritis I have in my feet (had surgery on my big toe last year). I also have to self inject B12 as I have pernicious anemia. My body cannot absorb B12 from food sources or from oral pills. B12 is such an important vitamin. My levels were pretty much non existent when they finally tested me and the symptoms include extreme exhaustion, mental "fog", nerve issues, etc. After injecting once a week for over a year my levels are almost at the low end of normal! If I someone forget a dose I can notice it in my cognitive abilities almost tight away. Most docs don't test for B12. It is something you have to ask for.
  • Hi,
    How did you get the vitamin test done? Is it a type of blood test? I know insurance has a lot to do with the code to Dr. rates for it so I was just wondering if insurance covered your test. If they did you happen to know what code your doctor wrote for it? Thanks.
  • Tina16TTina16 Posts: 37
    edited 06/04/2014 - 12:47 AM
    The initial B12 test is just a blood test. My doctor just added it to my yearly blood work requisition. I am in Canada so I don't gave to pay for it. I am not sure if you would need to pay for it in other countries. There is talk about making it a standard test they do with yearly blood work (adding it in with cholesterol, triglycerides, sugar, CBC tests), but it is not there yet

There are more complicated tests they can do to see why your B12 is low, but that is only done after the initial blood work comes back. And after you try other ways of getting B12 into you. When mine came back super low, we initially tried very high oral doses for a while and then retested my blood. When my levels continued to fall we then tried injections and retested blood to see if levels were rising. After a year and a half of weekly injections, my levels are almost at the low end of normal. I have missed a couple doses in the last little bit because if surgery and recovery, and I can definitely feel the effect.
advertisement