Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleeping positions

Anyone have any advice on sleeping positions after having a fusion? I am having a 360 lumbar done. All advice appreciated.
36 yr old with one degenerative disc (L5-S1)
3 rounds of Epidurals in 2013
6 PT visits in 2013
Microdiscectomy L5 S1 on 9/5/2013.
Re-herniated in January 2014.
Epidural on 3/3/14.
A/PLIF (L5-S1) 6/3/14

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    and this may sound so simple, but whatever is comfortable for you!

That may mean in a recliner, on a couch, propped up in bed... but I just can not imagine lying on your stomach to be comfortable
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am four weeks post op from my fusion and finding a comfortable position is still a challenge. When you find something comfortable just don't move until you have to.
    good luck
    alif l4-s1
  • PinkellaPPinkella Posts: 211
    edited 05/14/2014 - 1:32 AM
    Try this -lying on your side bend your knees slightly and put a pillow between your knees/thigns it stops your spine slipping forward when lying on your side and I find it really comfortable ...all u can do is try different positions until one suits u best .Good luck with your op :) x
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I'd agree with the posts above, whatever, wherever, and however, the best position works for you. I had been advised several years ago due to my spinal issues to sleep flat on my back with a firm mattress. Post-op I have opted for a recliner several times but after my last fusion 6 weeks ago C2 thru T3 sleeping in bed flat with no pillow under my head is the only comfortable position that works for me and I've tried everything.
    Good luck finding that "magic" position, you will get there.
  • At first I could only sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees, one or two behind me supporting my back and then my head to the side on another pillow! It's whatever you find works best for you :)
    Pelvic fixation 2009, L5/S1 fusion 2014