Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurostimulation Device Implant

LaurenBrianneLLaurenBrianne Posts: 25
edited 05/16/2014 - 8:37 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
My doctor has suggested putting in a neurostimulation device as a last resort, since my insurance won't approve my fusion. I'm 21 years old and have suffered for 3 years from degenerative disc disease, stenosis, and a disc space collapse. After several attempts at injections, physical therapy, and even a discectomy surgery last year, my doctor brought up this neurostimulation device called ActiveStem and I agreed to have it done. I was just wondering if anyone has had it and if they got any relief from it. Was the procedure like having a surgery?
Lauren Davidson

• They will approve a neurostimulation device but not a fusion? Have you appealed that decision? Do not let the insurance company push you around. What does the doc think is best?
    2012 C5-C7 ACDF with fixation - failed to fuse
    June 2014 - Planned revision surgery
  • If your spine is not stable, a spinal cord implant is NOT appropriate treatment.
  • I had a neuro-stimulation system implant March 20, 2014. My "machine" is in my flank under my skin and there are 2 wires along both sides of my spinal cord. I was not responding to physical therapy, medications and my successful laminectomy of L3, L4, L5, and S1 done in March 2012. My problem came with all the falling I had for 2 years after the operation that ruined all the good treatment I got. I am very, very pleased with my stimulation system. I was happy with the laminectomy as well. It has helped me so much. I can now walk normally, am able to get a decent nights sleep and the pain I still have is controlled with medication, physical therapy and bio-feedback I learned years ago for controlling migraine headaches. I will always be restricted in regards to lifting, twisting and bending over, but at least I can take care of myself bathing and such. I was fortunate, I have a great team of doctors who have been taking excellent care of me. If you trust your doctor to know what is best for you, I encourage you to learn all you can so that you can make an informed decision. It takes getting used to because of having to be careful around magnetic, electrical equipment and physical activity, but I would do it again in a heart beat.