Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Large Sacrilization L4-S1 w/ nerve root impingement

ConiRCConiR Posts: 2
edited 05/14/2014 - 2:23 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hello! I am in dire need of some information from the "powers that be". In March 05 I was paralyzed from the chest to toes due to C7-T1 "blowing up" in my cervical spine. This event caused several disc fragments to enter into my spinal cord. All (so they say) fragments have been removed, and after a few months of physical therapy I was up and walking. There is no definitive diagnosis as to why this event took place, however: through a routine MRI it was noted that C5/C6 were about to do the same thing, so now have "2" ACDF titanium plates and 8 screws in my cervical spine. When this happened I lost "motor" in my left side and "sensory" " in my right side. I have since been diagnosed through an EMG test with sensory neuropathy (no DM & no HX). In dec 13 I began experiencing "lower back pains". An x-ray was taken and showed an "anomaly" at L5/S1 level. The sensory neuropathy became worse with the pain in my lower back, causing my right (outside) calf, right (inner) thigh, and right buttocks to become "numb" with burning, tingling, & numbness to these aresas. I'm 5'8 & 170lbs (BMI 26)...so I'm not "skinny" but not "morbidly obese" either. During the first few months, my right leg would be weak, but I could still sit or stand for at least 30 min- 1 hr. I was sent to a new Neurosurgeon, due to the concerns of the sensory neuropathy symptoms. A myleogram was performed in early march 14 & showed a "large sacrilization from L4-S1 with nerve root impingement. I was also told that my "lower back was now connected to my right pelvis". Shortly after the meylogram I began experiencing "sciatica" symptoms: sharp pain in my right buttocks, & issues following the Sciatica Nerve trail all the way to my toes! Next was scheduled "Selective Nerve Root Block" of the nerves at L4 & L5. These injections provided me no relief at all...! Within a month I have progressed to not being able to sit in the upright position, as the pain in my right buttocks is excrutiating with no relief. I cannot drive due to the new sensory neuropathy symptoms, causing my right foot to go numb when sitting in the upright position. When going from laying down or sitting down positions, I must do this VERY slowly....and with a lot of care or I get what feels like a sharp knife stabbing my upper right leg, buttocks, & lower back areas. My neurosurgeon wants to perform "nerve root decompression", but first I must be seen by an Orthopedist to determine if this is also a "bone" problem. No amount or kinds of pain medication give me relief. My quality of life has decreased tremendously in the last several months, as I can't even walk supported by a shopping cart while grocery shopping! Heat/Ice do not work either. Tried the "tens unit", major mistake! Push/Pull tests are normal, as well as reflexes. The ONLY medication I take is Ibuprofen 600mg at night...nothing else works! Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be going on??? Thanks!