Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here, surgery is on Monday.Yikes!

Hello all,

I am a 24 year 3rd year medical student scheduled for an ACDF on Monday 5/19. My story has been a medical mystery up until a few months ago. so here goes:

I had several mini-strokes when I was 19 and they thought I had a more major stroke which wiped out my fine sensation to my left arm in 2009. Fast forward 5 years and I'm a 2nd year med student, completely adjusted to the numbness (caused no real issues) and I start having sudden trigger finger in my index and middle fingers on both sides. Happens when I grip something or flex my finger in a certain position. It just locks down and causes pain on the flexor/anterior side of my forearm until I physically extend my finger back with the other hand. Yikes!

After the million dollar work up they discover I have a herniation at c6-c7 causing severe stenosis with myelopathy. Then the doctor hands me a packet of information with a list of symptoms and as I'm reading down the list I'm like "oh yeah I have that" or "oh that's not normal?" He also chose this moment to tell me he is surprised I'm not in a wheel chair based on my MRI (how do you respond to that? Gee thanks for the compliment?) Anyways since the new symptom (trigger finger) I now also put most of my other "quirks" into the "Ugh, my stupid neck" category. I have muscle switching in both hands and right outer thigh. For years I have not been able to run or fast walk for more than a quarter mile without severe cramping and pain which turns to numbness (I thought I had calf muscle issues, or was just out of shape), dizziness, headaches, etc.

The looming threat of paralysis and losing my dexterity (i.e. my medical career) convinced me to do surgery sooner rather than later. In fact, depending on how the surgery goes I may end up taking a year off from school to recover and get my health back in order before rotations.

I know what my text books tell me as far as classic symptoms, but I haven't found much info about the trigger finger and fasciculations (twitches). Anybody else have these issues? Anyone have any great success stories about post-op recovery with regaining strength or feeling? Any advice for surgery day or recovery? I'm hoping to be lucid enough to continue studying.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance for all support!