Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 post 2nd op

I'm 5 months post my 2nd micro D. I had 2 different procedures down a month apart. Before the surgery i was in peak physical condition, with a healthy height and weight.

I've still been experience bad pain all down my leg. I also cannot put my leg straight out in front of me, or do certain stretching because of my leg. It makes it hard to walk, and very hard to sleep. Even sitting around is painful.

I'm going insane, as I've been in constant bad pain since LAST July, have had 2 Micro D's, multiple injections, and still cannot get rid of the pain.

another 2nd opinion recommended a 1 level fusion after viewing my MRI's and listening to my complaints, and that it would get rid of my leg pain.

I'm lost and don't know what to do. The first time, the other Dr said the same about each Mirco D i had, that it would eliminate my leg pain, and neither did. It makes me nervous to do yet another surgery...as the first two I didn't have good luck with.

I said that no one ever has one back surgery, and that one always leads to more. Unfortunately I was right in that department.

Does one fusion lead to another? Does anyone know success rates with a 1 level fusion, or if you have 1, you are bound to have another later?

All I wanted to do was play golf again. Tiger is already hitting balls after his micro-d 2-3 months later. Why am I not doing the same 5 months post op?
L5-S1 Herniation. 1st MIrcrodiscectomy 11/9/13. 2nd Microdiscectomy 12/19/13

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 05/17/2014 - 5:49 AM
    If the nerve was compressed prior to surgery, the pain that you are experiencing might be related to that.......once the nerve is compressed, and then the compression is relieved, the nerve pain flares.........it can take some time to settle down again, and it might be worthwhile considering trying one of the nerve pain medications to see if it helps ease the pain.
    It does take a bit of time to get to the right dosage of the medication , but they do work.
    I would not rush into a third surgery, thinking that you will get pain relief. There is no guarantee, despite what you are being told of that occuring with any SPINE surgery.....spine surgery is done for two reasons, to correct an anatomical problem or to relieve nerve compression........pain relief is not a guarantee, nor should one undergo surgery for that reason.
    You may still see improvement in the nerve pain symptoms if that is what is causing the pain you are having.......and essential to your recovery is physical therapy, regular walking and excercising within the restrictions given to you by your surgeon.