Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

alif fusion with instrumentation, nearly a month post-op

First post, dont know if this is where my message belongs. I recently had this surgery. I am nearing a month post-op (5 days away) and am in bad shape. I have nerve pain worse than prior to the surgery and increased lower back pain. It is hard to sleep, for awhile I was doubling up on carisoprodol and oxycoton to go to sleep but I am trying to get out of that habit because I dont want to keep going up the pain meds because I have noticed they never get rid of my pain unless I take more than the recommended dose. I also do not want to die just in case i can be pain free again.Even when I do take extra it just masks the pain for an hour If that. I want off the meds, and I want pain relief. I also cant go anywhere without pain, if my wife suggests leaving the house fo do anything I cringe because I know it will add to my pain. It is so tiring, I feel alone (I dont feel its possible for anyone I know to know what I am going through) I was put on steroids 3 days ago to help with the inflammation, I hope it helps. I have been dealing with back pain since 2010 and probably, definitely thought this fusion surgery was gonna be a quick fix because I have always been a quick healer (how dumb I am). I dont even know if I am looking for answers, I am just ranting and raving. I will promise to update my post-op just in case it helps someone in the future. Pre surgery I was 33 yrs old 5'11 and 210 lbs. I am now about 190lbs (my appetite still hasn't fully came back)
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    edited 05/16/2014 - 6:20 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • thefusionman said:
    First post, dont know if this is where my message belongs. I recently had this surgery. I am nearing a month post-op (5 days away) and am in bad shape. I have nerve pain worse than prior to the surgery and increased lower back pain. It is hard to sleep, for awhile I was doubling up on carisoprodol and oxycoton to go to sleep but I am trying to get out of that habit because I dont want to keep going up the pain meds because I have noticed they never get rid of my pain unless I take more than the recommended dose. I also do not want to die just in case i can be pain free again.Even when I do take extra it just masks the pain for an hour If that. I want off the meds, and I want pain relief. I also cant go anywhere without pain, if my wife suggests leaving the house fo do anything I cringe because I know it will add to my pain. It is so tiring, I feel alone (I dont feel its possible for anyone I know to know what I am going through) I was put on steroids 3 days ago to help with the inflammation, I hope it helps. I have been dealing with back pain since 2010 and probably, definitely thought this fusion surgery was gonna be a quick fix because I have always been a quick healer (how dumb I am). I dont even know if I am looking for answers, I am just ranting and raving. I will promise to update my post-op just in case it helps someone in the future. Pre surgery I was 33 yrs old 5'11 and 210 lbs. I am now about 190lbs (my appetite still hasn't fully came back)
    So sorry your having a hard time. I'm due for surgery on June 9th, I'm very nervous. I hope you feel lots better soon.
    Mitzi Arredondo
  • mjd210mmjd210 Posts: 92
    edited 05/17/2014 - 1:16 AM
    Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Are you on any nerve pain meds? I know that can help a lot. I had the same surgery as you did from L4-S1. about five weeks ago. The first few weeks were pretty rough. I had and still have trouble sleeping. Before my surgery I planned ahead it was time for a new bed! So yup I purchased a very nice one (You can PM me and I can tell you the type) and I will say for me it helps. For the most part I feel great. Don't get me wrong I still have really bad days just like everyone else does. Are you walking much? My surgeon told me to walk as much as you can. Obviously don't over do it but he did say it is good for your recovery.
    Good luck and don't over do it!
    alif l4-s1
  • My friend, you are still in the very, very acute phase of post op fusion recovery......and the flare up of nerve pain is unfortunately quite common for the post op phase. When the nerve or nerves are compressed prior to surgery, then they are moved around during the surgical process, and then the blood flow and ability to send signals to the body and brain is restored, they are angry and it can get quite draining to deal with. It would be a good idea to discuss with your surgeon or pain management doctor the idea of taking a medication specifically meant to treat neuropathic pain. You may not need it permanently but it can help immensely at this stage of the game of recovery.
    Why did you think that the fusion process was a quick fix? It is not, it is a long marathon of stages of recovery, and it can take a year or more before the fusion itself is complete, let alone to find out where you will be at the end of the journey. It is a journey, one that has good moments and set backs along the way.
    As far as taking more medication than you are prescribed, it is not wise, it is dangerous and illegal......it can also put you in the position of running out before you are supposed to, and you could find yourself being cut off from further medications. It also increases your tolerance, quickly and causes your body to mimic pain in order to get you to give it more .
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/practical-advice-recovering-back-surgery
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/spine-fusion-post-operative-care
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/spinal-fusion-surgery-recovery-one-three-months-post-operation
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/pain-medications/dos-and-donts-pain-management

• Thanks for the support and info. Good luck CCT on your surgery
advertisement