Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trigger point injections

i've just had some trigger point injections in my back, im in a whole world of pain at the minute! can i put topical gel over the bits that hurt (voltarol/ibuprofen) or will that interfere with the medication they injected?

• edited 05/17/2014 - 1:41 PM
    I would definitely call the Dr./Clinic before doing so.

A topical med could possibly seep into the small incision made by the needle and I would assume could cause pharmacological and/or infectious complications. I wasn't allowed to submerge in water for 3 days following my injection, if water is bad, that stuff could be worse. You have to remember that needle went into your spine.. not a place you want infected.
  • I found ice to be the best thing for trigger point injection pain. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    edited 05/17/2014 - 5:21 PM
    over the years, done by several different doctors.
    The key I have found is that it is so important to ICE immediate after the injections. My physiatrist who does my trigger points. always keeps me on ice at least 15 minutes after the injections.

The times I did have a lot of discomfort where the times, no ice was applied immediately after the injections. But as EnglishGirl said, ICE can help so much, later on in the evening or the next day.

I wouldn't apply any topical gel for a while or until they tell you its ok to do so (as one poster stated above)
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • my only concern with ice is i read somewhere it can aggravate trigger points? i think i had 8 trigger injections and the consultant said he might inject the facet joints, im not sure if he did or not as i was unconscious all i know is im very sore and bruising is starting to come up. how long to ice for? 15 minutes?
  • I've never been told that ice can aggravate trigger points, quite the opposite. I have very 'grumpy' muscles & trigger points & I've had several rounds of trigger point injections with good results..eventually, once my muscles calm down. I've always found ice to be good to stop that bruising & any inflamation. I've been trying to find my discharge notes for you but I'm so disorganized at the moment! Sorry. Hopefully someone can help with how long you have to wait before you can start alternating with heat & get back to your creams. Didn't they give you a sheet of instructions to take home with you? I'd make a list of questions & call in the morning. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • edited 05/18/2014 - 8:21 AM
    The pamphlet that I got from my procedure center states "To help relieve pain during the first 1-2 days after your injections, place an ice pack on the injection site for up to 20 minutes at a time, several times a day."

Ice has always helped me after injections. I think maybe those people you heard from were doing it wrong? You should always place a cloth, shirt, towel, something between the ice pack and your skin or else that will make it worse by giving your skin an 'ice-burn'.

And wow, 8 injections at once seems like a lot, no wonder it hurts. I've typically gotten 1-4 at a time.
  • i can't say for certain but there are definitely 8 injection marks that my wife counted. i don't know if any of them are facet joint injections, the consultant did say he might do some but was gonna do x-rays to see what was going on with the joints i think and to get the needles in the right place for the trigger point injections.
  • I, too, have found that icing the site is helpful. I get the steroid injections in my lower back done is segments of three and icing does help and SO DO THE INJECTIONS!
  • I have been getting epidural injections into my spine in the area of my L5-S1 for a herniated disc. They help me a lot. The doc usually has to make 1-2 injections of local anesthesia before using the long needle with dye and x-rays to find the right spot then injects the medication. I use cold packs if needed but after 8 years of 6 shots a year I am pretty use to them. I drive myself since it is on the left side. It is important to find a doctor who is good and listens to you. I also take Cymbalta which helps because I also have spinal stenosis and arthritis in my back.
    Regards, Karsin
  • Is there a difference between trigger point injections and epidural injections? What is each supposed to help with?
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • www.spine-health.com/video/trigger-point-injections-video

and esi injections are two different procedures, done for two different reasons.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    edited 05/20/2014 - 2:40 AM
    in what their objectives are.
    Epiduaral (ES) : injection of steroids to calm inflammation and hopefully providing some temporary relief. (some long term)
    Trigger Point: injection of lidocaine (numbing agent) to quickly reduce in in troubled areas (short term)

For more details, please read Spinal Injections In this article, there is more discussed about ESI, Block injections.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com