Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feel i failed

Chronic pain from thorocolumbar spinal stenosis, fractured superior endplate, spinal faucet syndrome, arthritis in the hips. And ddd. And copd. I asked the Dr. If I could try aqua therapy, he said okay. I went for a evaluation he only had spinal stenosis down I had to tell him all the rest. He continued a careless pushing on my spine and proceeded to get on the table and place a arm on each shoulder and put is weight on me :(, he said oh we will have you running to the store and getting your own groceries. With that I was done. I thought we would devise a plan togeather.
I spent the next few days trying to quite things down again in my back. However I was excited about getting in the water. Once in a noticed a feeling of someone standing on my chest, and the heat took a lot out of me. The therapist got right to work following a 1,2,3 type therapy written on a big board. I was experiencing pain but she continued to push. I left and again I had to spend the next few days quiet ing things back down. My family advices me not to return, but I decided one more try. Well again we started the one size fits all routine, and dispute my optimism, She tried to force a straight posture I have a slight hump. I told her it was painful and she insisted I try harder. Between the pressure on my chest , and exhaustion from the heat I keep trying. Once home I started to experience, tingling in my hands, a st and half headache which I never really had a lot of headaches but this was horrible. And a feel I g of my spine throbbing, when I stand. Now my family is saying it's one thing g to watch you suffer day to day, but this is to much to ask us to see you bring more upon yourself. I put off anymore until I see my Dr. And now I beat myself up, as I feel I failed. Any opinions?

• I am just tired, the spine is so complex, and affects so many areas of the body. It's a fight everyday. It's exhausting in itself. I am not sure all it takes for someone just to get up and get themself ready for 9am therapy on top of it all. I am talking to myself now lol.
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 05/17/2014 - 4:52 PM
    I don't believe your PT is doing things properly. My hydrotherapy sessions were always done with the utmost care and safety in mind. She said that if anything hurts, we would take it down a notch and work our way back up. There is, of course, a certain amount of pain AFTERWARDS, that is to be expected from being tired and targeting muscle groups that haven't been targeted in a while, etc. But she always told me that the actual exercise should NOT cause pain.

Try talking to her before your next session about your concerns. If she's not amenable to changing, I think it's time to find another PT.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    can create additional pain and discomfort. This is pretty normal. After a while, you should then start to notice an improvement after each session.

However, there is a point where therapists can go too far. I've had this happen to me in the past many times. I guess after all of my experience with surgeries and physical/aqua therapy, I have no problem saying enough is enough!

At my rehab center, there is one therapist (who worked on me a few times as a fill in) that is an excellent shape, never injured, involved in triathlons. So her mindset is push push push, harder harder, no pain , no gain. That type of therapist can cause more harm than good. I've had to call this one out to her management chain, so she was written up. She hates me know, but no lose for me

But it is important to distinguish what line, the line between what is good and what is too far.

My neighbor was in PT for a knee problem. They had her use some of the those thera-bands for exercises. She used the lightest Resistance and the second they had her do exercises so broke down in tears sobbing about all the pain and that they did it to her. In reality, with those bands, two 1 year olds could put more on more pressure.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for your input, my big concern was maybe she lacked the proper edu action. And one size fits all treatment. As I came away with problems I did not have before. Treatment of lumbar and thoracic can be contradicting, what's good for the lumbar can Injure the thoracic. And It is my luck I would be the learning tool. I have msged my nephews wife she is a physical with 4yrs of education in this field. I am waiting on her response. I will keep you all posted :)